Orphanage/Charity in Acapulco or Zihuatanejo

CanadianTwosome

We're going to be on the Star in January and I've read threads where people take school supplies, clothing, and other donations to orphanages or other charities. Does anyone know of something like this in Acapulco or Zihuatanejo? I'd like to organize something through my daughter's school or her Girl Guides group (or both) to take some donations. I think it would be a great learning experience for my daughter, and we could go home with hands on experience to share with her fellow classmates and Guides.

A couple of orphanages/charities come to mind when I read your question:

Friends of Acapulco A.C.

Street Address

Avenida Michoacan #56

Colonia Florida CP 39570

Acapulco Guerrero MÉXICO

Mailing Address

P.O. Box C-64

Administración #3

Acapulco Guerrero MEXICO

Telephone 485 02 55

Fax 486 47 74

Email: membership@friendsofacapulco.com

Casa Hogar Acapulco

http://www.casahogaracapulco.org/site/index.php

There's not much in the way of a social safety net in Mexico, and the orphanages are usually run by a caring family or group of people, without much in the way of government assistance. Friends of Acapulco is probably the best-known children's charity - caring for orphaned/abandoned children - and it's in the center of the city. Casa Hogar Acapulco is a favorite charity of foreigners who live in ACA and/or visit often and it's located 45 minutes from the cruise ship terminal, at Playa Bonfil.

You can send an email to the group of your choosing to arrange to drop-off the materials. These places always enjoy guests and it's a real treat for the children to receive whatever you can bring with you.

Wow, I think this is a great idea. And it's so much nicer to read about someone wanting to make the cruise special by helping someone else... rather than agonizing over what to wear to dinner each night!

I hope everyone reads this thread and starting thinking about what they can do with their dollars besides (or in addition to) a new piece of cruise jewelry.

Thank you!

Just FYI, a group of guests from the Carnival Spirit (saling Nov 06th from San Diego) due in Acapulco on Nov.09th will be going to Casa hogar Marsh we have arranged to have Jovita (the orphange director) meet and greet the guests in our office and arranged a van to take them shopping, then to visit the children to spread the joy.

Please do not consider this spam, anyone sailing on this trip can contact Ziggy at their Roll Call on the Carnival Spirit Nov 06th for a donation.

I will be more than happy to post pictures next da,y on this thread, of our day.

I'm not sure I understand what's been arranged for this group. Are they going to the orphanage, or are they just going to give their donations to Jovita and then go shopping? I'd really like my daughter to at least meet some of the kids. Of course, if we arrange a pick up, perhaps some of them could come along.

Do you have any idea how long it takes them to translate and respond to emails? I still haven't heard back...

Thanks!

The Marsh Hogar is second on the list I provided ealier. Not second in terms of preference, just listed second. Jovita is well-known and well-liked and a trusted person. The home is privately run and relies upon the good will/donations of others. You could visit Marsh Hogar and spend some time there and/or on the beach in front - at Playa Bonfil . . . it's a short distance from the Airport, SE of the city center (maybe a 45-minute ride by taxi, maybe a little less... depending on traffic).

I'm not sure I understand what's been arranged for this group. Are they going to the orphanage, or are they just going to give their donations to Jovita and then go shopping? I'd really like my daughter to at least meet some of the kids. Of course, if we arrange a pick up, perhaps some of them could come along.

Do you have any idea how long it takes them to translate and respond to emails? I still haven't heard back...

Thanks!

A small group from the Carnival Spirit (Nov. 06th saliing) are exchangng their afternoon of tours to go shopping with Jovita and then drive to the orphanage to meet the children. Ziggy is gathering cash donations to go to a supermarket with a small group of guests meet with Jovita and then drive with the groceries to the home.

They wanted to bring toys and clothing, but, we have had incidents where Customs denied the entrance of these items and I recommended to gather cash donations, go shopping and then take it with them. A few will carry back packs with a few clothes to avoid being stopped by Customs and some balls to appear they are going to the beach.

If your daughter is on that sailing I am sure she can join the group.

Stop by their thread and email Ziggy for further details.

No idea how long it takes the home to answer emails, I called Jovita to set everything up.

My daughter and I have worked in orphanages and schools in several countries. We have found that most are in need of medical supplies.We usually take pain reliever/fever reducer and bandaids, etc. In most countries these are a luxury. If a child is in pain - even from a broken bone, they rarely have the means to take any kind of pain reliever. Also, toothbrushes and toothpaste. We consider these a necessity, but many children are thrilled to get new toothbrushes. Most of the children we have visited really like balloons. We blow them up and show them how to hit them in the air back and forth to each other. Lots of very inexpensive fun.

Wow, I've got a lot to learn! I wonder if we could mail some donations and then meet in person with more carryable items... I really like the idea of presenting the donations in person, but it's about the giving, not how we do it. I never expected a customs issue... but then that's why I'm here asking!

It's just me, my husband, and my daughter that would be participating in this, unless I get my roll call interested. We'll be there on the NCL Star in January.

Aca_Port Dude, would you consider helping me?

You would need to check with reliable people in the areas you intend to visit. We have tried to mail boxes in the past. Unfortunately, the rate of theft is very high, as the boxes usually contain things that are of great value to local people who can afford little. We've found for many areas the only way to contribute items is to deliver them personally.

I can speak of my experiences in Acapulco - over a 26-year period of visits. Reputable charitable groups - such as we've been speaking of in Acapulco, will typically send someone to meet you if you bring donations of clothing, goods or cash. Give the places enough notice and be a little flexible (for "Mexican time") and you'll be richly rewarded. I caution against sending anything of value through the Mexican postal system - and if things are handled honestly there may be legitimate Customs "issues" that'll snag your donated stuff to the point the packages will never arrive as intended. Thanks to those of you with the big hearts considering such donations!

I agree do not send cash or any sort of donations by mail, a case and point of red tape; 2 years ago the Carnival Spirit donated 10 desk top computers to this orphanage and they sat in our where house for over 3 or 4 months waiting for clearance from Customs. (note that Customs Law states that any item that remains more than 2 months is considered abandoned) it was a huge head ache to get them cleared and the final clearance came from the main Customs office in Mexico City after a a lot of red tape that had to be sorted by noble people that wish to remain annonymous.

I recommend that you bring cash donation and go shopping with her and then drive to the home, as will be done on November 9th; I am not sure if I will be able to go due to my work load and I am also the PFSO of Acapulco (ISPS dohickey) and I have to be very near the port, if I get clearance I will post a few pictures here.

And Canadian twosome, sure no worries, I can have Jovita meet and greet you here in the cruise terminal and she will take you to the home.

Very nice idea to go to orphanages..my daughters have gone to mexico and Fiji on mission trips... they always brought gifts to kids...about 5 years ago I went to Ensenada on a 4day cruise and brought quarters to give to the children , but evidently that was frowned at.. asked here if any one else did this ...and I was told "never to do that again", Your idea is wonderful...Ihope it works out the way you want...:)

I contacted FedEx and asked them about any information I would need to know about sending donations to Mexico and this is what I got back:

-Freight charges must be included in the total declared value.

Antidumping and countervailing duties up to 1105% may apply to Textiles,

Shoes and Tools when the country of origin is China or other Asian

countries.

-A NOM standard is required for all commercial shipments (available in

Spanish at http://www.economia.gob.mx/). Non-commercial shipments valued

at $1000 USD and above require a statement from the consignee confirming

non-commercial involvement.

-Subject to 35% duties/taxes plus 15% VAT for informal entries (up to

$5000 USD) based on customs value.

-Some used items are prohibited, personal effects/belongings require

visa, passport and airline ticket for clearance.

-Bicycles are prohibited IP, Bicycle parts are accepted.

-All shipments are subject to pre-inspection by the customs house

broker. For detailed info on what commodities apply, the shipper should

contact the consignee or visit the internet at http://www.economia.

gob.mx/

-Shipments to and from Mexico may incur ancillary charges due to

commodity, value, storage or customs validation fees.

-All formal entries (non doc shipments) require the cnee to have a

Registry Federal Certificate (RFC)#. The cnee must be a registered

importer in the "Padron Importadores del Servicio de Administracion

Tributaria" of the Mexican Government for shipments valued $1000 USD

and/or more.

I've read and reread it, and I'm still seriously considering a shipment. I wouldn't be sending anything like computers or even anything new. I expect people to be donating clothing, toys, books, and that sort of thing. Would these things really be an issue? There is a list on the orphanage website for articles of clothing that are needed - everything from socks to bras. Or... if I hadn't been clear that this was what I expected to collect, would it be a problem to bring this sort of thing off the ship? Would I have a customs problem if used clothing, etc. was what I was carrying?

I still haven't heard anything back from my email. Should I send another one? I'd really like to make sure that what I am considering would really be useful to them, and perhaps Jovita has experience with this type of donation and can advise me on how to bring/send them. I will do my best to organize monetary donations that we can bring to shop with, but I know for certain that we will be able to collect a lot of used articles, so I'd really like to find a way to bring both.

Thanks for all the help!!

I have no idea how much trouble you will have to go through a Customs broker, time frames or costs if you FEDEX or DHL the items.

I can only mention personal experiences from US Navy ship crew and cruise guests that have had a rough time trying to get toys to the orhanage by bringing them off the ships; on one occasion the toys had to be returned to the ship (crew arranged Legend of the Seas 1998 and USCGC Monroe 1999) and ruined everyone's day and on the next call they had a toy auction onboard and went shopping to local stores with the money they gathered, bought toys and hand delivered them.

Wish I could do more, but, Custom laws are very confusing and processing is lengthy.

I spoke with Jovita a few days ago regarding the Carnival Spirit's donation drive and she gave me a list of every day items, such as soap, laundry detergent, mops and brooms, canned food, cooking oil, sugar, salt, etc. To make all of this crystal clear I asked her to meet and greet the group, go shopping and go to the chidren and we are pitching in as well arranging a van to take the guests, on us.

No idea regarding emails if there is some one monitoring them, most orphanages I doubt they have internet connections and assume it's the friends of Acapulco organization's email.

Jovita will call me on Monday to arrange details of the Nov.9th visit and I will ask her all your questions-

Joviota will meet the ship and take people to Wal Mart, or wherever, to shop for donations - so bringing things with you isn't something people should necessarily focus on. I don't believe in handing over cash . . . going and buying things and then donating them can be very rewarding . . . especially so when you see the faces of the children.

Thanks so much for all the help. I'll wait to hear what Jovita has to say and I'll mount my campaign accordingly. If bringing monetary donations to go shopping is the only thing that works, then that is what I'll work on. As I said earlier, I don't care HOW we help, I just want to help. Taking funds is like giving a gift card, the person has the freedom to get what they really want/need. I'm sure a shopping trip with Jovita telling my daughter all about what they need and why they need it would be an especially memorable experience.

I think it was on one of the "hogar" sites that it explained that it was illegal to bring in items for children made in China. That was a year or so before all the problems started hitting the news.

There is another good reason for buying locally - something the Red Cross practices- you help two or more. In addition to the one you are buying FOR, you also help the one you are buying FROM, and spreading the money around the community.

PLUS - you have less to pack.

That's an excellent point, Cruznut, and it's all about help. My only concern is that it's more difficult to convince people to give you their money than their used goods. There are logistics involved with keeping track of the money and the need to provide donators some sort of accountability of what you're doing with their money.

As it is, at my daughter's school, there are regular fundraising events for the school, for playground equipment and other needs, so parents (and often their friends and relatives) are already being asked for monetary commitments a few times during the school year. If the only way to make this work is to ask them for more money, I worry that there won't be as good a response as if they could just send used items. Parents always have kids' clothing that is outgrown before it's outworn, not to mention toys and other items.

We'll just have to wait and see, and if we can help, we will!

• 8 years later...