Food on HMC

dawnanne

Actually, I had the same question. We'll be on HMC in December via the Westerdam and was wondering about the picnic lunch; whether to stay on the island or go back to the Lido. Does the picnic on HMC include ribs, or just hamburgers and hot dogs?

Not sure about ribs, and can't speak from experience, but from what I've read, besides burgers there are chicken, veggie burgers, and possibly fish. May vary from cruise to cruise. Plus salads, fruit, other side dishes, and dessert. All included in your cruise fare (except sodas and booze, which get charged to your shipboard account).

From what I've read (not speaking from experience here), what makes it get crowded is when there are two Carnival ships, which hold many more pax even than HAL's largest ships (Vistas). With one Vista class HAL ship and another R- or S-class ship, or maybe even two Vistas, I don't think it would be crowded enough to warrant foregoing the experience everyone raves about. Just walk down the beach a bit to get away from the crowds. At least give it a try - you can always leave if you decide it's too much for you.

Thanks for that advise. We'll probably do that, walk far down the beach, find some secluded area, and hopefully get some snorkeling in.

Here's what I've read about snorkeling at HMC: Unless you do the snorkeling tour, which is the only way you can snorkel in the lagoon (where the snorkeling is supposed to be pretty good) on the other side of the island from the beach, I wouldn't count on great snorkeling at HMC. The water off the beach has a sandy bottom, which doesn't attract many fish. There are some rocks over near the kids' play area and the tender dock, and you might be able to see some fish there, but it's not going to be much. At least, that's what I've heard. Hoping to see the place for myself for the first time a week from Monday!!:D

I'm on the Dec 16 Westerdam roll call and there will be 2 ships docked at HMC on Dec 22nd. I think we'll just hit the beach, and find if it's too crowded, then go back. Doing all my research, I've resigned myself to no snorkeling at HMC. I'm really planning to get my snorkle fix in Grand Turk, St. Thomas and Tortula!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Just back from HMC last week. We were lucky to have clear, warm weather. It was great. Watch out for the listed times for the lunch. It was only 11:30 to 1:00. The food service was over at 1:05. They have to lug the food from the ship and take it back so time is short. No way to snorkel on the beach as it was very sandy, but what a trade off for a fantastic beach day. We rented a cabana and it was the best day of the cruise. You will enjoy it.

Archived