BBC America and Cunard

Highlander0108

Admittedly, I have been watching all things British, since we get BBC America on our cable system, in preparation for our trip to the UK and or transatlantic on QE2. I'm a little obsessed at this point. Lately, there has been advertizing for NCL on this channel (which urks me since this in the line that sold the Norway to Alang, but that is the liner buff in me) and this has got me to thinking. This would be the perfect place for Cunard to do some advertising don't you think? People watching BBC America must have a liking for all things British. I'd rather see a Cunard ad on a British channel than NCL touting their "Freestyle" cruising. Does Cunard advertise at all in Europe? Any other fellow Cunarders out there watching this channel?

Not sure I've even seen Cunard advertise on TV in the UK.

P+O UK & RCCL regularly run ads, but I can't remember any others

Though, according to a ashort news snippet on TeleText this morning

http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/home-news-in-brief/default.aspx (its rolling news so probably the item will move off the page),

Cruise holidays are set to be the fastest-growing sector of the travel market next year, according to a survey.

As long as it keeps availability up and prices down:D

BBC America has some good programs. However, they appear to be self-concious about being British. Those announcements about using close-captioning so that you can understand what people are saying were amusing at first but got very old and somewhat obnoxious (condescending) fast. They don't seem to understand that people watch the channel primarily because it is British, not inspite of it being British.

BBC America has some good programs. However, they appear to be self-concious about being British. Those announcements about using close-captioning so that you can understand what people are saying were amusing at first but got very old and somewhat obnoxious (condescending) fast. They don't seem to understand that people watch the channel primarily because it is British, not inspite of it being British.

The close captioning announcement has become irritating to me as well, while initially amusing. I guess my point I should have stated more clearly was that for Cunard to grow their market share, filling ships, and hopefully giving us a respectable QE2 replacement (a wish) this channel would be a great place to do some marketing, especially to those who enjoy things British. When I first stepped on QE2, I felt like I had gone home. :)

Cunard advertised briefly on network television in the 80's regarding their Fly/sail program with the QE2(great footage of the QE2 Docked in NYC), but I haven't seen any T.V. ads since.

Archived