Shopping/Beach

kasualkathy

Since we will be arriving on Sunday - I guess we should shop early and then hit the beach? Is it better to shop St Thomas or St Martin? Can anyone give me ideas for good beach to go to?

I thought there was better shopping in St. Thomas, but believe the ultimate decision is a matter of opinion. I am sure you will get mixed answers to your post.

In St. Thomas, I would recommend Saphire Beach. It was a great little beach with some adequate snorkeling off to the right, and magnificent views. There is a small bar there, along with a small restaraunt, however it takes FOREVER for food, so you might want to eat before you go. There are restroom facilities, but we didn't use them so I could really comment. Here are some pics of Saphire Beach:

n500425475_639381_5140.jpg

view to the right

n500425475_639382_5552.jpg

view to the left

n500425475_639388_7867.jpg

the beach is lined with these trees, along with palm trees

You can rent snorkel gear for $5/hour, beach chairs for $7 per hour. We did a private tour, so I am not sure how much a taxi cab would be to there, but it is a popular beach, so a taxi would bring you there no problem.

In St. Martin, we went to Orient Beach. It was pretty, a bit more on the touristy side compared with Saphire Beach, but the views were good. There are water sports at Orient Beach, and it's lined with a choice of bars and grills to park for the day. The closer you get to Club Orient (the clothing optional resort--don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds!), the prices are a bit more reasonable. We ate at Le String for about $10 (split a burger and fries and had a phenomenal drink called the Wikki Wakki Woo!), but actually laid out at Bikini Beach. The prices are Bikini Beach were outrageous, which is why we ate at Le String. Here are some pics of Orient Beach:

n500425475_639404_3267.jpg

This is the marking point from the "regular"

Orient Beach, and the Nudist resort.

n500425475_639407_4283.jpg

More of Orient Beach

n500425475_639403_2924.jpg

This is the view to the left of Bikini Beach

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. You are going to love both ports... it was some of the best places we have ever visited!!!

Thank you for the great photo's! I will show them to the gang and see what their opinion is. We have 12 of us and I'm thinking some will want to snorkel, some maybe parasail and some just hang out in the water or lay on a chair.

I can't remember if there is parasailing there at Saphire. It is a more natural beach than most, so it might not appease all in your party. Orient Beach in St. Martin, however, has a bit of something for everyone, and the ones who wanted to parasail could wait until that port if need be. I would make one point: While we were at Orient, another couple walked past us and we overheard them saying that Orient Beach was much prettier than Maegan's Bay (one of the more popular beaches in St Thomas). While Orient was pretty, it didn't touch the beauty of Saphire Beach. Just a note to think about, for what it's worth.

Sapphire would be a good match; it has snorkeling, chairs for rent and it has parasailing, jet skis and also non-motorized watersports like kayaks. If parasailing is something you really want then you should make a reservation.

PS: Sapphire has a beach party with live band (Caribbean music) on Sunday afternoons. Its popular with guests staying at the Sapphire hotel and with residents so there is typically a good crowd listening & dancing at the covered area by the bar, which is beachfront. Usually starts around 2pm until 6pm.

--Islander

Archived