What to do in Grand Turk?

chewbacca

We did the Hop On, Hop Off bus tour and had a good time. The bus is air-conditioned, and quite comfortable. We bought our tickets once we were on the ship (HAL). The bus picks you up in the port area and they loop around the area every 15 minutes or so. We went to the lighthouse area first where a guide gave a short info speech about the island. Then we were able to just wander around the area. There's a small gift shop there, and a snack bar. There are a couple of paths that lead to different areas, but we just walked to the overlook and enjoyed the view for a bit. The buses came at regular intervals, so we had no problem catching a bus when we were done at that area.

Then we were dropped in the town (Cockburn?) where we walked through the old prison (the entrance fee is included in the price of the tour), and then we just wandered along the waters edge. There were several stall-type vendors selling local souvenirs. After wandering around a bit, we walked back to the pick-up area and waited for a bus (which wasn't long). Then we were taken back to the port area.

I have arthritis in my knee and I can't do a lot of walking, but I found this to be a very enjoyable excursion. We really enjoyed our time on this island. It's still very pristine, and we took advantage of seeing it before it turns into another overcrowded Caribbean island.

Archived