Diabetic Cat and Cruising

Parrotgirl

Interesting, I have the same issue and leave for a cruise on Saturday. Typically when we go away we have a certified pet sitter come to the house and we just skip the insulin shots while we are gone. We have 4 cats and the in home pet sitter is great, especially with 4 cats. That worked fine, the sitters never reported any problems.

We recently moved and lined up a new sitter that has experience giving her husband and pets shots for diabetes, but what I'm afraid of is giving the wrong cat a shot. He's the only black cat of the 4, but as careful as I am as the owner having given the shots for years, I gave the wrong cat a shot believe it or not! :eek: I'm not a morning person and I called the cat and another one came and viola, he got the shot instead. So off to the vet we went for some emergency attention to bring his blood sugar back up.

Also when we moved to Florida about 5 years ago, I gave the cat shots as I normally would, not knowing that he was not eating. We arrived and unloaded the cats and went to the store to get some items. When we came home we found him in diabetic shock from low blood sugar and another emergency trip to the vet. That was one of the scariest moments we've ever experienced. Luckily we saw a vet 2 minutes away and they took him immediately, thought for sure he was going to die not having ever gone through that before.

Soooooooooo....you can see the issues we have encountered when we DO give the shots. Since we have had no issues NOT giving the shots, we would sleep much easier NOT giving the shots for just one week as we have before.

Assuming this should be OK, as we've done it before. Just looking for someone with some vet experience to say, yes, that's ok...not preferred but ok. ;)

Our diabetic cat would not have done well without her twice daily insulin injections. It didn't take much to throw her blood sugar/insulin balance out of whack. I don't think she would have lived if we skipped it for a week, but maybe there are varying degrees of insulin dependence.

If it were me, I'd just board the diabetic one at the vet's office.

:)

Our diabetic cat would not have done well without her twice daily insulin injections. It didn't take much to throw her blood sugar/insulin balance out of whack. I don't think she would have lived if we skipped it for a week, but maybe there are varying degrees of insulin dependence.

If it were me, I'd just board the diabetic one at the vet's office.

:)

Ok ok, fine. ;) We will let the new pet sitter give him the shots. I just printed out a color picture of him showing his blue SoftPaws (plastic nail things that go over their regular claws). Since he is the only one that has blue SoftPaws out of the 4 of them, she shouldn't have a problem figuring out which one to give a shot.

So all should be well. Stinky (cat's name) thanks you. :D

DEFINITELY go to felinediabetes.com. They are great, and you'll learn all kinds of necessary information to deal with a diabetic cat. Also please pay close attention to what many of the pet owners are feeding their "sugar babies". By following their advice and putting our Fritz on an all protein diet he went off insulin and is just diet controlled. That makes it much easier for us to travel. He has to be fed 3x a day which is sometimes tricky to get lined up, but it's a whole lot easier than trying to get someone to give him shots. When he was still on insulin shots our vet's secretary/assistant was willing to come give him shots while we traveled for a fee.

Also don't be scared about having to give him the shots and test his blood. Our Fritz didn't mind it a bit, and in fact like his extra attention from my husband.

Archived