Barty's Trail Ride

Nancynurse

Has anyone ever used this company in Seward? We are considering this on the day we arrive to Seward by train prior to boarding the cruise ship.

I saw mention that there also some walking trails in the area. I have two active teenage boys who will not want to spend the day shopping or walking around in town. We have alrealy booked a Kenai Fjords boat trip on our return back to Anchorage.

The Sealife Center looks like a neat place to visit, but we have been to many similar centers over the years, and I wonder if they are all similar? The ones that we have visited all have been with minor differences depending on the region.

Nancy

I don't recommend Bardy's. The trail is flat and boring with a couple of water crossings. You end up near an old building surrounded by water. Alternative places ..Alaska Horsemen in Cooper Landing or Horse Trekkin in Anch located right next to the zoo.

I'm sure they love a heli/dog sled ride on Godwin Glacier. A cheaper alternative would be Ididaride's wheeled cart ride.

Exit Glacier is very nice and well worth a visit.

I always enjoy the Sealife Center. Think about a behind the scene tour. This is a great rainy day place.

We have many hiking trails around. Exit Glacier is #1. There's a nice paved walking/biking path ( historic Iditarod trail) along the waterfront that connects the small boat harbor and downtown.

Bike rentals across from the train depot.

Have you considered kayaking? We have a few well run companys.

Thanks so much for the reply. It doesn't get much better than having some-one from the area answer questions.

We will only have a few hours to play prior to boarding the ship. The exit glacier scenerio sounds like a good alternative. I saw that there is a shuttle company that will even take you there for nine dollars.

We have a kayak excursion planned in one of the other ports. DH does not want to join us on this because he thinks the water will be way too cold. So I know this would not be and option for him.

The good thing is that we won't have to worry about luggage. What do people do with camera bags/laptop/electronics though that they would typically carry on board though? I can't see us doing a hike with a lot of equipment.

Once again, I appreciate the help.

Nancy

Archived