Fishing In Progreso - Sucessful w/details

DaParson

January 17th, 2008

My family and I just returned from a 5 day cruise with Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston. We had a blast. We had stops in Progreso and Cozumel.

In Cozumel, we book a Dolphin Swim, so that left fishing for Progreso. It took alot of asking, but I located Oscar Escobedo who manages one of the Resorts in Progreso and he arranged a fishing charter that would work with the schedule of the arrival and departure of the Ship. Contact information for Oscar Escobedo is on the blog.

We fished in what I think was about a 27ft fiberglass Panga. It was a wide boat that held 8 of us with no problem. We caught Strawberry Grouper, Rock Grouper, Bee-Liners, Spade Fish, Spanish Macs and a large Ray. We lost some big fish also.

The Full Report, video and pictures are on the blog: http://www.daparsonfishing.blogspot.com/

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have about this trip. Progreso isn't a shopping meca and if you don't want to visit the Myan Ruins, then this may be something you can take advantage of.

Enjoy!

Mark

457655658_smallmarkgrouper2.jpg.9bc0f5db40dffefae6adcee8e06937c1.jpg

Hi Mark!

I saw your video! It looks like for the most part, it was a very cool trip. My husband (also Mark) booked a fishing trip in Cozumel once and was disappointed that it ended up being that same hand line style of fishing. Apparently that's how they do it in Mexico. I'm glad to see (if I understand your post correctly) that they are going to equip the boat with regular rod and reel style fishing poles.

My husband and his friends definitely want to take this trip when we are down, so it was good to hear from someone that's already done it.

Kristin

Kristin

Thanks for the kind words about the video! We really enjoyed the trip and had allot of fun making the video.

I think the majority of fishing in Mexico is either gill-netting, long-lining or hand-lining. I expressed to Oscar the importance of getting fishing reels and poles on the boat and he said he would. I don't know how long that would take for him to accomplish so if I was booking a trip with him soon, I would definitely ask him about it. Oscar's English is good so communication via email with him is not a problem.

Be sure and let us know how the fishing trip goes after you take it!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived