Travel coffeemakers

jdblakeslee

We think it might be time to invest in a travel coffeemaker. Any thoughts on which brand? Once, we had the travel size from Mr. Coffee which brewed two mugs, but it was pretty bulky. I wouldn't mind one that brewed only one cup at the time...

Thought?

Jennifer

We think it might be time to invest in a travel coffeemaker. Any thoughts on which brand? Once, we had the travel size from Mr. Coffee which brewed two mugs, but it was pretty bulky. I wouldn't mind one that brewed only one cup at the time...

Thought?

Jennifer

You aren't supposed to bring irons aboard ship, I'm not sure a coffee maker would be a good idea either. I've been searching the different cruiselines and don't find it specifically mentioned, if I do, I'll post again.

I couldn't find anything on HAL, Princess or Carnival.

But RCI is very explicit:

Prohibited items:

Candles

Coffee Makers

Electrical Transformers

Flammable Liquids and Explosives (such as fireworks)

HAM radio equipment

Hockey sticks

Illegal Drugs

Irons

Personal Alcohol

Skateboards

Surfboards

We were on Princess last June and took our coffee maker...Had it in the room for 3 days and the steward came in and explained to us that they had to take it out of our room (fire hazard)...She said she would bring it back on the last morning of the cruise, which she did....

Now, on the Norwegian Pearl, it says, that coffee makers are in every room...Go figure...Susan

We were on Princess last June and took our coffee maker...Had it in the room for 3 days and the steward came in and explained to us that they had to take it out of our room (fire hazard)...She said she would bring it back on the last morning of the cruise' date=' which she did....

Now, on the Norwegian Pearl, it says, that coffee makers are in every room...Go figure...Susan[/quote']

where can we find the information about the amenity provided by each cruiseline? Does HAL provide coffeemaker for each cabin?

We purchased a Black & Decker Brew & Go. It brews directly into a 15 oz. mug. It doesn't have a warmer and as soon as it finishes brewing, it shuts off. IT can be used to only heat water for tea. We used it on our last RCCL 12 day cruise and it was great. We were very careful to make sure we kept everything clean and didn't leave grounds in the trash and of course, didn't put anything down the sink.

While this coffee maker has a permanent filter, that would require sink cleaning so we purchased the Malita #2 filters which fit perfectly. This make a great cup of coffee (which I enjoyed while the DW got ready). It was quite hot. It also weights less than 2 pounds and easily fit into my suitcase which was critical. I highly recommend it and we will be using it on future cruises and other vacations.

+1 for the Black and Decker Brew and Go! I have not used on a cruise, but have taken it on vacation and it is awesome. It fits quite nicely in a suitcase and made of hard plastic which makes it very sturdy. I have taken the same one on 3 trips and it still works fine.

Paul

We bought a 4 cup Mr. Coffee from Walmart in Anchorage to take on our Coral Princess cruise last year. It was heavenly to wake to a good, hot cup of coffee. Our room steward never said a word about us having it, and left us coffee cups, sugar and creamer and spoons each day. We left him the coffee maker after the cruise ended. Best $20 we spent! I'll have to look into the B & D brew and go, though.

where can we find the information about the amenity provided by each cruiseline? Does HAL provide coffeemaker for each cabin?

Didn't have coffeemakers on HAL Zuiderdam in Aug '07. I have never had a coffeemaker on any of the cruises I've been on. Even Concierge Class on Celebrity. I just thought with room service, you don't need a coffeemaker.

Even in some of the hotels on the cruisetour, we didn't even use the coffeemaker. Got up, got dressed, went to breakfast and had our coffee there. The little one cup brewers in Travelodge are more like instant coffee anyway, just my opinion though.

Thank you all for your insight...I think DH has determined that we'll buy one when we arrive in Vancouver, use it on the cruisetour, and leave it behind for someone else...

Over the weekend, I looked at the B&D Brew & Go and the 4-cup Mr. Coffee, I think we'll probably pick up one of those and see if we have a problem using it on our Princess cruise in June. It sounds like the stewards make the call whether or not to let you use it, maybe we'll luck up and get someone who'll cooperate!!

Jennifer

Archived