A stupid question

maryella

We are considering the Wind Star this summer for the fantastic itinerary of the Dalmation coast. We have only cruised twice before on big ships but have done river and barge cruising. The Wind Star concept appeals to us. Howeve being fairly ignorant in the ways of the seas I have a question concerning these ships. When the sails are up does the boat keel? (Think thats the word for leaning over like you see on smaller yachts). I get slightly sea sick and if the boats do keel when under sail than I dont think I would be able to handle it. Thanks for any info on this motion aspect.

We are considering the Wind Star this summer for the fantastic itinerary of the Dalmation coast. We have only cruised twice before on big ships but have done river and barge cruising. The Wind Star concept appeals to us. Howeve being fairly ignorant in the ways of the seas I have a question concerning these ships. When the sails are up does the boat keel? (Think thats the word for leaning over like you see on smaller yachts). I get slightly sea sick and if the boats do keel when under sail than I dont think I would be able to handle it. Thanks for any info on this motion aspect.

I sailed on the Windspirit recently (Windstar's sister ship), and it never heeled over. I think the sails are mainly for show. Do it, you'll love it. Once you try Windstar, I doubt you'll ever go back to the big ships.

I've sailed twice on Windstar -- Wind Star Costa Rica, and just returned from Wind Spirit Caribbean.

The ship did not heel on either of those wonderful cruises. I don't know what their system is, but it seems to work. Our Costa Rica cruise (January 2007) did actually travel over 90% of the itinerary by sail power as the winds were right -- it is wonderful to move along under sail power. In the Caribbean the winds often were in the wrong direction, so the engines did most of the work, but the sails were still unfurled much of the time, more for atmosphere than for work.

I would LOVE to sail in the Mediterranean on one of these ships. They are absolutely wonderul in all ways -- beautiful, ideal size, great crew at all levels, great food, and they go to ports where the big ships can't/don't go so the shore days are wonderful.

Archived