Assistant Food Manager's Interesting Stories/Memories

An excerpt from one of the X board threads, which includes very interesting posts regarding shipboard life. Mr Delpapa worked onboard Celebrity's Summit and he left when his son, Nicolas, was recently born. Here is a link to this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=701522

January 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM

image.php?u=740&dateline=1201386043RDelpapa user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_13144912", true);

Cool Cruiser

im_aim.gif

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nps001 viewpost.gif

Welcome!

How about giving us some insight and stories regarding your time on the ship. Nothing personal or confidential--Perhaps a few tales of your time on the Summit. I'm sure many of us would be interested.

What are your plans now that you're not on a ship?

Thanks

I may just do that... to give everyone a little insight...

I used to work for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd from 1998 to 2002 as the Pier Supervisor for Celebrity Cruises (both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami)... I left to get into the Hotel business, and worked at four star/four diamond hotels in the Miami area - The Roney Palace Beach Resort, Sonesta Beach Resort Key Biscayne, and The National Hotel - in various Food and Beverage Management capacities.

I had the itch to return to the cruise industry... coincidentally I was recruited by NCL to join the NCL America division as an Assistant Maitre d'... I attended the required training and certifications and was assigned to the opening team of the Pride of Hawai'i... I was then reassigned (during my vacation in 2006) to the Pride of America as Restaurant Manager.

I left NCL America due to various reasons, and went back to Celebrity Cruises as Assistant Food Manager on the Summit. I joined the vessel in San Diego for her seasonal Hawai'i runs...

I left the ship due to the fact that my Son was about to be born (December 12)... I realized that it would be too difficult (for me and my family) not to be there for his birth, as well as for his early childhood and development. My wife (met her at NCL America) stayed in Indiana with her family. I came out here (I am currently in Evansville, IN) for his birth... I will be moving them to my hometown, Miami, FL next month and am anticipating and new career either shoreside at a cruise line, or back in the Hotel sector of the industry.

As time permits, I will definiely post various anecdotes from my time on the Summit... I do miss it a lot and would love to return in the future as Nicolas gets older.

Regards,

R

Archived