Birthday ideas?

Amok

We will be in SJ on my DW's birthday, but only from 7am-2pm. Anyone have any ideas that might make the day special for her? We will have 2 kids in tow. DD 9 and DS 7. Should I just wait and do something on the ship since we won't be there very long? Never been to SJ so any ideas would be great.

Old san Juan is a beautiful city

Suggestions

Head to la Bombonera and have a great breakfast - it's an OSJ landmark that has been serving breakfast for years.

Take in one of the forts (El Morro or San Cristobel) - El Morro would be my choice

Then stroll back down through the city (it's not that big) and there is plenty to see:

Museums

Cathedral

San Juan Gate

Paseo La Princesa promenade

Have lunch at El Convento hotel (they have a great tapas bar there) or hit one of the following restaurants:

Parrot Club

Tantra

Drabonfly

Amadeus

There are also a few outlet shops (Coach is one) just down from the Cathedral / El Convento Hotel

We will be in SJ on my DW's birthday, but only from 7am-2pm. Anyone have any ideas that might make the day special for her? We will have 2 kids in tow. DD 9 and DS 7. Should I just wait and do something on the ship since we won't be there very long? Never been to SJ so any ideas would be great.

Tell us what she likes to do- shop, see art, do adventure, water sports, etc.

Then we would have a better idea what to suggest.

Yeah, OSJ has lots of shopping, but it is not enclosed like a mall or anything, so she would have to be comfortable walking the streets alone (it is safe- lots of people/police around). Along Cristo St and then Tetan, Forteleza and San Francisco streets there are lots of stores (all types and price ranges).

You could keep the kids busy at the forts, or there is an interactive Children's Museum close by the shops at Cristo Street.

No beach right there, but you could get a taxi and go to Pinones to bike the board walk- it is enjoyable, you pass beaches where you could stop and enjoy some sun, then bike back, eat ocean front.

The shopping near the forts sounds like a good idea. Normally I wouldn't want to leave her on her birthday, but this will be our last port of call and after 7 days couped up in a cabin with all 4 of us some alone time might be the best gift I could get her. Might just do that in SJ and get her a cake for dinner. I heard they do that on RCCL. TY for the input.

Archived