Disney Wonder 1/27-1/31

Matt in FL

We just got back from a 4 night on the Disney Wonder. We had two stops in Castaway Cay! It was announced at check in that there would be a second stop there for maintenance. On the second day, a diver was cleaning the hull of the ship at the the surface. I thought this was great and wish DCL would do that for every cruise. Overall, a great trip with excellent weather.

We just got back from a 4 night on the Disney Wonder. We had two stops in Castaway Cay! It was announced at check in that there would be a second stop there for maintenance. On the second day, a diver was cleaning the hull of the ship at the the surface. I thought this was great and wish DCL would do that for every cruise. Overall, a great trip with excellent weather.

That's very strange. A diver might be able to clean the hull of a small sailboat but cleaning a 974' ship would be like you cleaning a bus with a q-tip. It would be a complete waste of time. I'd bet that something else was up. Perhaps they hit something or grounded and were checking for damage. They may have had a problem with a stabilizer or a transducer though transducers on ships are retractible and don't need divers to repair.

That's very strange. A diver might be able to clean the hull of a small sailboat but cleaning a 974' ship would be like you cleaning a bus with a q-tip. It would be a complete waste of time. I'd bet that something else was up. Perhaps they hit something or grounded and were checking for damage. They may have had a problem with a stabilizer or a transducer though transducers on ships are retractible and don't need divers to repair.

I saw it with my own eyes.

A diver was "brushing" the side of the hull with a grinding wheel while another diver on the pier and a man in work clothes looked on.

I never gave it a second thought that it could be something else until I saw Mick's post. It would seem like a monumental task for one diver but perhaps earlier on there were more...or it could have been something more serious and Disney chose not to alarm passengers unnecessarily.

At any rate we had a great second day at Castaway Cay and a good trip home.

We saw the guy cleaning the hull as well. He was in scuba gear and had a high powered cleaning brush. Looked like a big floor waxer held sideways. We saw some guys doing some painting on board as well. There may have been more than one person doing the cleaning but we only saw one. I'm not a conspiracy theorist though so I took the cleaning announcement at face value. We certainly weren't complaining though - 2 days at Castaway Cay was awesome!

Archived