Hilo beach question

me4me

One of the Wind excursion description is:

"Join your Dive In team for this fun and exciting snorkel adventure. Take a short scenic drive down the coast, which takes you to a secluded park with a black sand beach."

Does anyone know what park/beach this is and how it is far from the pier?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;1;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]
until hawaii honeymoon cruise!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

I know exactly what that excursion is. I used to work on the M/S Norwegian Star and helped out the dive/snorkeling staff sometimes. If I remember correctly, the bus ride was about 20 minutes or so to the beach. The beach is a black sand beach (which is EXTREMELY hot in the sun). However, Hilo is often cloudy or raining..... but most often the rain clears up. The snorkeling is neat but I have heard that the snorkeling is better on other islands (not that this excursion isn't good too). I have also heard that going to the Volcanoes on one of the excursions is a great excursion too. I hope this helps !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruisepro19:
The snorkeling is neat but I have heard that the snorkeling is better on other islands <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except that on the KONA side of the same island - we have some of the best snorkeling in the world!

However, what is the name of the beach - do you know? I tried to figure it out when this was first posted but I couldn't. Going to Hilo next week and thought I might look it up if I knew where it was.

Aloha,
Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!
NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!
Alaska summer 2005!

Emi,

I do apologize I should have said that snorkeling is better elsewhere. I do agree that Kona is a great place to snorkel. When I was on the ship, our itinerary only went to Hilo. Hilo's weather wasn't bad but it does rain quite often (not for a very long period of time). I just thought I would suggest that snorkeling would be better elsewhere. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the beach in Hilo because I was only there twice. I just thought I would point out that there are better snorkeling excursions.

I was just teasing! I only wanted to point out that we are on the same island (though worlds apart sometimes).

Maybe I'll have time to do some exploring for the beach...though I'm not sure I will.

Thanks Cruisepro,

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!
NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!
Alaska summer 2005!

Thank you. We were looking more for the black sand beach than the snorkeling at this beach.

SweetEmi - if you happen to find the name that would be great!! Was hoping to do the volcano and at least see a black sand beach up close.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;1;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]
until hawaii honeymoon cruise!!

Archived