Discover Scuba--Aruba or Cozumel?

stillcruisin'

DH and I want to do the "Discover Scuba" excursion when we sail on the Connie in March. We just don't know which port would be better to do it--Aruba or Cozumel? In Aruba, they take you somewhere in a boat; in Cozumel, you just go right there from the beach. Which excursion is the best? Has anyone done either (or both) of these tours who could shed some light? What did you like and not like about the tour(s)?

Also, on the day we are NOT doing the scuba excursion, we want to spend the day relaxing on the beach. So I guess the other half of my question is which port has the "can't miss" beaches--Aruba or Cozumel? I don't want to miss out on a great beach if we can plan the scuba to accommodate it. Sure would appreciate any insights. Thanks!

I took my son to try out scuba in 2004 with the group in Cozumel and they were great. Since we were docked right there by Senior Frogs it was a quick trip down the road to their location. You will have a classroom session to go over the necessary information and then gear up and walk in from the beach. I have not done Aruba but I was already a certified diver and was doing this for my son. My first scuba tryout was back in the 80's and it was done off the back of a boat. It is a lot to deal with jumping in with all that gear you have only gotten familiar with in the last 15 minutes. Scuba is about enjoying yourself in this beautiful underwater world but it is to be treated with respect. If you are going to Cozumel first then do it there and if you really love it you can go again in Aruba. My son loved it so much we asked if we could pay out of pocket and go out again that afternoon. They were more then happy to let us join the second class and gave us a little more freedom.

I am not Scuba certified but I have snorkeled in both places. Cozumel is definitely my recommendation. The water is calm & visibilty upwards of 200'. Aruba has by far the best beaches but the constant 30 mph trade winds make the seas rough & choppy. Of course if you are UNDER the water that might not matter. My wife got carried away by the current in Aruba while we were snorkeling off of a boat. But luckily another person helped her.

DH and I want to do the "Discover Scuba" excursion when we sail on the Connie in March. We just don't know which port would be better to do it--Aruba or Cozumel? In Aruba' date=' they take you somewhere in a boat; in Cozumel, you just go right there from the beach. Which excursion is the best? Has anyone done either (or both) of these tours who could shed some light? What did you like and not like about the tour(s)?

Also, on the day we are NOT doing the scuba excursion, we want to spend the day relaxing on the beach. So I guess the other half of my question is which port has the "can't miss" beaches--Aruba or Cozumel? I don't want to miss out on a great beach if we can plan the scuba to accommodate it. Sure would appreciate any insights. Thanks![/quote']

Scuba diving on Cozumel is top notch! There are several better places around the world that are better, but for cruising in the Caribbean its hard to beat basic scuba diving on Cozumel.

They have a very easy drift dive that allows you to lazily float with the currents. But if you're doing Discover Scuba, I recommend you stay very near the dive instructor. But clearly Cozumel is the best.

Archived