What do yu do with your passport while in port?

sassafrass

We always take our passports with us. Actually, when we have taken our Disney cruises, passports (or DL and BC) and ship cards were checked in order to disembark the ship at each port. I was surprised on our Carnival cruise that everybody just swiped their S & S cards and left. If DCL thinks we should carry them then that's good enough for me.

While your DW may have had passengers travel this way, I dare say she has never seen how NOT SIMPLE it is to have this done.

You give the impression you just call the state dept up and say you have lost your passport and they rush over to the fax machine and you are on your way. In reality, that is not how these things work at all. Unless things have really changed, you are looking at days of frustration. It took my husband 5 days and that was before homeland security. I am pretty sure that little event has not speeded things up.

There was a ports on these broads about 6 months or more back when a passenger did exactly that and had no problems. I have tried to search it be cannot find it. The difference when you cruise now is that all passengers names are on the ships manifest which is electronically submitted to Homeland Security. The list is then scanned by there computers looking for any passengers that should be flagged. If a passenger misses the ship Carnival knows they are not on board. All of this is easily verified.

Again if you feel comfortable carrying it do so but I feel just as comfortable not having it with me.

Again the U.S. department of State is allowing the use of the Passcard to cruise in and out of the U.S. in the future. I will not carry one because even though it's encrypted data it broadcast it fifty feet where as a passport is close proximity scanned. I do not want any of my personal information being broadcast as I walk down the street.

Archived