Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera video episodes

Head Shot

You are a very good producer lol, great videos! I'm going on Splendour next month, and I was kind of nervous about the looks of the ship, so it's nice ti have an idea of what it will look like since it's in the Vision class ships. Now I'm looking forward to it :-)

Aww, Thanks a bunch. I must give real credit to the wealth of free video materials all around me :D

Believe me, there were so much more going on that ship that I didn't capture.

I loved every one of these and have looked forward to this final chapter. It was great, but I'm wishing there were more now! I look forward to my own experience soon. I'm counting the days.

Thanks again, Head Shot. You have some great footage here and you have certainly whet my appetite!

Idgie

I loved every one of these and have looked forward to this final chapter. It was great, but I'm wishing there were more now! I look forward to my own experience soon. I'm counting the days.

Thanks again, Head Shot. You have some great footage here and you have certainly whet my appetite!

Idgie

She'll be good to you. Have fun on your trip

"Get out there ...":cool:

You're videos are great! I just watched all of them in order and I almost started to feel like I was on vacation with you by the time the cruise was over. It brought back great memories of my vision cruise 2 years ago. I absolutely love that ship. I had a lot of fun watching them, and now i'm really excited for my upcomming cruise in october. Thanks! :D

You're videos are great! I just watched all of them in order and I almost started to feel like I was on vacation with you by the time the cruise was over. It brought back great memories of my vision cruise 2 years ago. I absolutely love that ship. I had a lot of fun watching them, and now i'm really excited for my upcomming cruise in october. Thanks! :D

Thank you for the kind words Panther Pink. I met so many people during the cruise. I did this in part as a dedication to their good naturedness that helped to make the shoot fun. I have never met so many great people in one vacation before. I guess this is a testament to the wonderful people that cruises:D

I'm curious , did you encounter some difficulty in viewing the vids? I have encountered some people having frame freezes.

Will we be seeing any videos coming after the October cruise ??;)

OK Headshot, you've made great friends on this website AND from the cruise and its videos! I can't thank you enough for putting this mini-movie together for all of us 13-20 Vision folks to reminisce. It WAS a fun time, the weather was delightful, and I hope that this will spark folks to cruise and cruise again!!!

Christine

Thank you for the kind words Panther Pink. I met so many people during the cruise. I did this in part as a dedication to their good naturedness that helped to make the shoot fun. I have never met so many great people in one vacation before. I guess this is a testament to the wonderful people that cruises:D

I'm curious , did you encounter some difficulty in viewing the vids? I have encountered some people having frame freezes.

Will we be seeing any videos coming after the October cruise ??;)

Its true, you really do meet some of the best people on a cruise/ cruise critic. my mom met one of her best friends on this site.

I didn't have any trouble viewing the videos, other than my computer is old and slow. Didn't stop me from watching.:)

I hope to have some videos of my own to add from my next cruise!:D DH is usually pretty good at capturing everything!

There is this YouTube advertisement of a european company for cruise bookings. It would have all these name brand cruise lines highlighted with short quick cuts videos but it would have the same darn music track. Annoying as heck. Some of those shots were definitely staged, highly polished, and filled with beautiful people.

Here is an example:

So with my video clips I decided to cobble them together, lifted their music, and spoof their video style. Granted that I didn't originally make my vacation shoot with this technique in mind, but it's a spoof. :D

YOU HAVE BESMIRCHED PRINCESS LINES BY COMPARING THEM TO RCCL WHICH IS NOT ALLOWABLE ACCORDING TO CLIA RULE (I.E. OKAY SO I MADE IT UP)..BUT DUDE THERE IS NO COMPARISON...HERE GO HERE AND LOOK HOW PRINCESS PARTIES COMPARED TO RCCL...

RALPH AND MARGE IN SAN DIEGO, PROTECTORS OF THE CRUISE LINES' ETHOS?

YOU HAVE BESMIRCHED PRINCESS LINES BY COMPARING THEM TO RCCL WHICH IS NOT ALLOWABLE ACCORDING TO CLIA RULE (I.E. OKAY SO I MADE IT UP)..BUT DUDE THERE IS NO COMPARISON...HERE GO HERE AND LOOK HOW PRINCESS PARTIES COMPARED TO RCCL...

RALPH AND MARGE IN SAN DIEGO, PROTECTORS OF THE CRUISE LINES' ETHOS?

:D

Naw, I was just picking on the travel company's signature commercials. I like Princess from what I've seen so far.

But I can always pick this unfortunate incidence that happened on the Princess ship:eek: :

What was that all about?

Loved your videos! We are going on the Carnival Pride in June and loved looking at the sites in Mexico. It will be our first time in those places and watching your videos made me even more anxious to go. I hope we can take video and photos as well as you did. Great job! And so many great memories!

• 4 weeks later...
Loved your videos! . . . I hope we can take video and photos as well as you did. Great job! And so many great memories!

Thanks Cruise4 for your post. Now that I had time to reflect, I wish I had done more excursion clips. It's yours and other comments that makes me plan out better future editions. You will take those great memorable shots as long as you keep shooting far more than you think you need.

Thank you all.

THIS IS MY FIRST CAMCORDER WITH SO MANY SETTINGS...NEED HELP.

BEST SETTINGS FOR CRUISE VIDEO?

BEST SETTINGS FOR JUST GENERAL USE?

ALL I WANT TO DO IS SET THE CAMERA AND WORRY MORE ABOUT WHAT TO SHOOT THEN VIEW ON HD TV WITH HDMI CONNECTION...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Here is my ongoing episodes of the recent cruise I took with Royal Caribbean Line.

This high quality viewing does require computers with more up to date video cards. If unable to view it without stuttering, you can turn off the HD feature on the video screen.

http://www.vimeo.com/album/6279

I will be adding some more each week.:D

THIS IS MY FIRST CAMCORDER WITH SO MANY SETTINGS...NEED HELP.

BEST SETTINGS FOR CRUISE VIDEO?

BEST SETTINGS FOR JUST GENERAL USE?

ALL I WANT TO DO IS SET THE CAMERA AND WORRY MORE ABOUT WHAT TO SHOOT THEN VIEW ON HD TV WITH HDMI CONNECTION...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Hommebronze, I'll try to help you on this step at a time here. Please bear with me.

Canon HV20 is unique in that it can shoot in a semi-professional setting of 24 fps. This setting allows for more vivid dark light shooting. For now let me address the advantages that you have with this camcorder.

The cruiseship onboard environment can be detrimental to your picture quality. When I do daytime shoot the lighting changes is dramatic from indoor to outdoor. Naturally the light source goes from TUNGSTEN, to Sunlight(daylight) in an instant. This poses some challenges for people like me who opt to shoot using manual setting instead of full automation.

Under a manual setting I have to change the white balance setting/light source setting everytime there is scene changes from sun to indoor. For instance, the pool deck is partly shaded, yet there is the window showing the ocean view. Under tungsten light( when I was shooting indoor prior to coming out) the ocean/window view appears as cool and bluish tint. The reverse is true with outdoor to indoor shoots. I do this shoot style because it affords me far greater flexibility and a more pleasing color tone, more natural.

One of the switch on the right side of the body sets this as manual or auto exposure. At AUTO, the camera will determine what is best. Of course, the built in computer chip will be easily fooled by the light changes that occurs when moving around the ship. One of those fooled moments is when the subject you want to film is indoor, shadowed with low light and the surrounding background is the window with bright sunny light. That will make your subjects dark looking. The camera will take the average of different light sources.

When you shoot under auto mode, pay attention still to those extemes of light exposures. At least you will have comfort in knowing that your camera can easily overcome these hurdles (when those skills are honed).

As for the HDMI connector, this is the new de-facto standard of interconnection for all things audio and video. The perceived notion that using HDMI will allow you to see your video in glorious 1920x1080 is false. The only way you can see it in full high definition is when your camera is shooting live and outputting it at the same time onto a high definition display unit. Whenever you have it stored onto a tape and then playing it through HDMI, you will only output in 1440x1080 pixel count. This is the limitations of the HDV tape standard. The camera by the way shoots onto a sensor that is only 1440x1080, not 1920x1080. Right now to shoot it in 1920x1080, you'd have to buy a $ 7,000 camcorder.

For best setting, I recommend full auto at this time. But it is a good idea to do a pre-cruise practice by filming at home, by moving indoor to outdoor. See how it looks when you playback the shoot. Then try the manual settings and see the difference. You can determine what shutter speed as well as what lens aperature setting to set(how much light goes in the lens).

For me I use the HDV -30fps setting, setting the light source tungsten for all indoor shoot and daylight for low shaded outdoor shoot, and SHADED for poolside areas. The Royal Caribbean windows are tinted jade/blue, so you have to find and adjust setting if going manual. For nightime I have it set at tungsten for indoor.

This camera can also shoot under the DV setting(standard definition) with remarkable results as well as shoot at the HDV (high resolution) standard. Remember that it's always better to have a higher quality source. So that when you have to burn a regular DVD, shooting in hi-def will result in better quality DVDs.

Another advantage this camera has is the higher quality lens- it does not have that irritating purple vertical light abberation so common with regular camcorders.

Another advice, but the high capacity battery for about $ 50-70. One fully charged battery can easily do all day shoot( with regular on and off typical shoots), great for those excursions. You do not too buy expensive tapes either. Costco, TDK 10 pack for $ 24 is all you need.

I hope this does not confuse you further. Please go ahead and ask anything this weekend. I will be checking here often. ;)

Wow, that seems like complicated advice! We just use our Sony DVD Handicam, and also have a small (credit card size) 8mp Pentax digital camera with two 2GB memory cards. We took hundreds of pictures in Key West last year. And we take lots of DVD (all year) and then I edit it on the computer and make larger DVDs. Would rather have too much than wish we would have taken more.

Wow, that seems like complicated advice! We just use our Sony DVD Handicam, and also have a small (credit card size) 8mp Pentax digital camera with two 2GB memory cards. We took hundreds of pictures in Key West last year. And we take lots of DVD (all year) and then I edit it on the computer and make larger DVDs.

Yeah, I figured it would be taken as that. I tried to break it down to basic essence without steering anybody into the wrong conclusion and important stuff omitted. Something I'd be the first to admit is easy to do with subject matters that is not black and white.

The future of camcorder is going away from disks and tapes. Even hard drives is having a hard time getting a toehold in this market.

Would rather have too much than wish we would have taken more.

That is exactly what I've been trying to recommend here for some time. Always. always anticipate more than less as far as storage media goes. Then when on vacation, always, always shoot as often as possible. It's always better to have more than less material to edit.

put camera in cine mode...and went to carlsbad flower show with orchids...great color and looked good on lcd...will change settings when i use camera indoors to enhance picture quality....thanks again for detailed advice....

That is an awesome setting. I have used it for night shoot, it really cleans up the image. You can even change the frame speed in cine mode to suit the lighting needs. I know it's bewildering right now.

Please post your future videos as soon as you have them. :cool:

Hommebronze- The use of a wide angle lens is quite beneficial for cruisers. If you have taken shots of on-board scenes, the wide angle ability will have more impact, less of of a camcorder feel. Since you are in more constricted space having the lens will include your buddies in the shots better.

Be sure, if you do get one,to use high quality lens. You're now shooting in far higher resolution, cheap lens aberration will do your picture in.

• 1 month later...
Here is my ongoing episodes of the recent cruise I took with Royal Caribbean Line.

This high quality viewing does require computers with more up to date video cards. If unable to view it without stuttering, you can turn off the HD feature on the video screen.

http://www.vimeo.com/album/6279

I will be adding some more each week.:D

Great videos! I'll be on the Vision on July 6th. I especially like your editing and you've inspired me to shoot more video. I also read your advise about use but I'm curious what kind of video camera do you use?

Again, thanks for sharing your vacation!!

Archived