Miraflores Locks & Observation Center

stillcruisin'

Has anyone done this excursion? What did you like or not like about it? How long is the travel time to and from the destination? Is it a guided tour once you are there, or are you on your own for the exhibits and displays? How long are you there? We're looking to do this excursion to get an overview of the Panama Canal and a good look at it in operation. Would this be the best tour for this? If not, what would be? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Okay, so maybe I asked too many questions in my first post since no one responded. If you know ANYTHING about the Miraflores Locks and Observation Center, I sure would appreciate your sheeding some light on it and telling me about it. I would love any information you would be willing to share. Thank you so much!

They've actually made some nice improvements at the Miraflores Visitor Center. The museum is totally redone and very nice. They actually have a simulator set up so that you can see how a simulator is used to train Canal pilots. There is a good display on the Canal construction and environmental concerns. They have a 10 minute so-so movie. There is a sit down restaurant. Snack bars are not always open and rarely have anything that is pictured on the menu board - welcome to Panama!

If you visit you want to be there when a ship is actually in the locks. Because of the safety distances required between ships transiting the Canal there are not always ships in the locks. If you use a cab driver - and to hire a cab in Panama City should run about $12-15 an hour - or have a private tour - they should call ahead to find out when ships are actually in the locks and time your visit accordingly.

Pic is of a ship in the Miraflores Locks taken from the Miraflores Visitor Center.

Panama%20Canal%20Miraflores%20Locks.JPG

It is a self-guided tour. If a ship is in the locks a guy will come on the PA system and tell you in English and Spanish about the process. There is a little gift shop. It is 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic which varies a lot in Panama City, from the pier in Amador.

Archived