Balmoral - Caribbean/South America Cruise 3rd April 08

Guest SarahMichael

Guest SarahMichael

Wait for it !

Never been on a cruise before. Will I love it or hate it?

Fancied this one because it's visiting 8 countries in 12 days.

Can't wait for the first thread from the Balmoral ( hopefully it will sail tomorrow as planned).

Can someone tell me what to expect, especially around formal/informal/casual evenings. I'm not a evening frock type of girl!

Also what about the excursions.... tempted to book one in advance at every port to see as much as possible.... Is this wise?

First of all welcome to cruising! I'm sure like the majority of people you'll be hooked after your first cruise!Like you I'm waiting to hear reviews etc of Balmoral. She sailed from Southampton last night several hours later than scheduled and hopefully is safely at Dover ready to embark passengers for the first time!I'm only on her for 3 nights in August with a cabin which is apparently in her new stretched section!

I don't like dressing up either. If you really don't want to do the really formal evenings then there's the buffet style restaurant .....she has a choice of 5 restaurants in all! With shore excursions I personally would research well. Some places.....like Key West you can easily do on your own. The ship docks right at the town centre and there's plenty to do there! Book a couple of excurions you feel are right for you and perhaps do your own thing at some ports and leave options open for others........some days you might just feel like a short wander around a port and spend some time on board with the ship virtually to yourselves!

Hope you have a wonderful first cruise!

I think we are all waiting to hear what she will be like ,shore lectures are given before each port of call and you can book then if you want.If you feel the one booked in advance isn,t for you after hearing the lecture ,then you can cancel it.

There is a buffet section ,if you don,t want to do formal dineing ,FO do lovely fish & chips for lunch out on deck.

Most people nowadays don,t go over the top on formal nights ,just be smart and you will fit in.

I hope you have a lovely cruise ,FO ships are very friendly places and you will soon make friends.:)

I have seen the ship from the outside while it was in Southampton. She was smaller than some I have seen in Berth 101 and not quite loikee the usual Fred Olsen. Unfortunately, because she left late, I did not see her in motion. I suppose you could say she was a smaller version of the Queen Victoria as they both have the observation lounge. Just hope she is as good inside and that everything works!

Maureen

Archived