Boat Rental in Kona

debiitodd

Aloha everyone! I have enjoyed all the information you have given this website. I rented a pontoon boat from Captan Cruise Mini-Yachts for our day in Kona. They launch out of Honokohau Marina and includes the fuel, swim ladder/step, snorkel equipment, cutting board, grill with gas, fishing gear, and ice chest with ice. I have some questions:

1. Has anyone heard of or used this company? I tried to go back to their website and it is down, so I did a google search and found a terrible review in Yahoo Travel from August 2004. Needless to say, I'm getting nervous about this!

2. How far is Honokohau Marina from where our ship tenders in Kailua-Kona? Or approximate cost for a taxi to get there?

Mahalo for all your help.

debiitodd - sorry I don't have any information about the company you have booked with, but we also have chartered a boat from the same marina. The owner of the boat told us that the marina is less than 5 minutes from where our ship docks....taxi fare???....I too would like to know but our boat owner had no idea. Anyone?????:confused:

Mahalo nui loa Spleen and cctex for responding. I guess this is a tough one since no one has replied about the boat rental company! Do you have any other suggestions for our time in Kona? I will be traveling with my 13yo son and 14yo daughter on the R/T 12/5 Infinity. (Sorry you had to cancel Spleen - we will miss meeting you) I did reserve a car (I haven't canceled yet) and the pontoon boat. We like to snorkel and fish; plus would like to see dolphins, whales, turtles, and/or all Hawaiian sea creatures!

Their website is back up, however after reading the Yahoo review I am concerned that we could be stranded - I surely can't afford to miss the ship !

Anything anyone can add would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha and Mahalo nui loa,

Debi

Check out this map. The shaded red area in the middle is the downtown Kona area. Honokohau Marina is the harbor right to the north of Kona. Looks to be about 15-20 minutes at most from Kona itself by car (probably a lot shorter but Emi keeps telling me how bad the traffic around Kona is these days :().

Have you looked at other snorkeling trips? Body Glove gets good reviews here on the board. Kealakekua Bay is gorgeous and a great place to snorkel.

You're not entirely rid of me - I'm planning on meeting Infinity in Honolulu to say hi to some people for drinks/early pupus ... :)

Spleen

Spleen ~ Mahalo for the map site. I tried to book with Body Glove a few weeks ago, but they are full - ship reserved all spaces! That's when I went looking and found the rental boat! I'm gonna' keep looking - still have 73 days till we leave! You will have to let me know when you will be around, maybe we will be in the area and can meet up with you as well. Take care.

Aloha,

Debi

Debi - have you checked out this other thread? Fair Wind II also has a good reputation (some say better than Body Glove). Maybe this might be an option? Otherwise, another option might be to do some sea kayaking in Kealakekua Bay on your own - there are kayak rental places right above the bay itself and they'll help load the kayaks on top of your car so you can kayak across the bay yourself and snorkel ... :)

Spleen

Honokohau harbor isnt that far, its before you get to the Kona airport, as you travel north from Kona. I would say it could take about 20 minutes with not too bad of traffic from Palani Road where the ship tenders. Body Glove is an option, Fair Winds is better but the crew from Body Glove made our trip fun. I dont know how much a taxi would be. I think I would arrange to get a shuttle of some form, maybe $30 RT - something like that? I have a question similar since we want to go with a guy out of the same harbor that we took out a few weeks ago, hoping he will come and get us....maybe wrangle another Marlin...not!

I wanted to say thank you for your replies. Although, I haven't made up my mind what to do in Kona. I still have some time... the days are going fast now! Although it has been a long wait since we booked this cruise in August last year! Everyone has been so helpful, mahalo nui loa.

I can't wait to see the beautiful Hawaiian Islands!

Aloha,

Debi :cool:

Emi said in another post:

Affordable Greetings & Transportation 75-5785 Kuakini Highway, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, 808-334-0464, This company offers a variety of transportation services including local and suburban transit services, shuttle services, taxi services, charter services, and tour services.

Speedishuttle 73-5577 Kauhola Street, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, 808-329-5433, 800-977-2605, Transportation services such as taxi, ground transportation, airport shuttles, resort cars, and adventure tours are available by this transportation company.

Captain Rayjay (my boat guy) says in an email to me: The best thing to do is to take a taxi. Here are a couple of numbers: Aloha Taxi - 808-329-7779; C & C Taxi (based at King Kam Hotel - 808-329-6388.

I called the King Kam dude and he told me to wait until we tender, no need to reserve, saying it was easier. So I guess its all up to you - I have not chatted with Emis suggested providers (YET).

Mahalo Jackie for listing the numbers - I have been looking through the threads, but didn't find anything! [You must have found it way back!] ;)

I also would like to add that the Yahoo reviews for the rental company I booked with had a 'very positive' review posted 9/22. Sounds much better! :) I am still keeping my eyes and ears open!

Aloha,

No problemo - just trying to pay it forward. We stayed at King kam one time and saw all the different ships come and go - IMO you wont have a problem finding transportation - I wouldnt worry - Kona is built up and you could walk to the piers edge from the tender and pass about 50 drivers - they are there for everyone - all kinds of people scurrying about with tours, etc - might be best to wing it unless you are on a tight schedule, in that case, I would prereserve with a Cloud 9 or supershuttle type of service. We went on Fair Winds - there were tons of cruise people. Its difficult to believe that they would say that they would leave without you. If they state it directly, I would reconsider booking with them. Body Glove leaves from the pier that you tender at. No muss - no fuss.

Thanks Jackie ~ however, I tried to book with Body Glove a few weeks ago. They are full. I also learned that there will be another ship in port while we are there, so the island will be pretty full! Or maybe it is normal to have more than one ship at a time - this is our first time to Hawaii. We are so looking forward to it!

check this out - We booked a snorkel/fish charter on the Shogun with Captain RayJay Kalman - see: http://www.konaseasports.com based out of Honokohau harbor - he will provide breakfast pastries and bagels (they are taaaaaasty) and lunch and soft drinks and take you snorkeling or whatever. The guy is extremely nice and he and his staff were quite knowledgable. Prices for your own private trip are really reasonable considering you wont be going with 100 or so strangers. You could split it between a few couples if you wanted to cut costs. Captain RayJay provides the tackle, which surprisingly was top of the line Penn Gold International Reels, nice poles and lures, and also will provide the snorkel equipment. Just show up! My husband and I have this guy booked again for Dec 26th - we had such a great time a few weeks ago! His wife even came down to take pictures of us when I caught a 366 1/2 pound Blue Marlin! See the picture and link here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=80855

Dont forget to tell RayJay that Aloha_Jackie from San Diego/Cruise Critic sent you! I dont get a commission or anything - just want him to know that I have been sending a few folks his way.

We rented with Captain Cruise in October in Kona. The launch is not far from where the ship docs (likely less than 30 minutes). The boats are like the pontoon boats you use in lakes, and do not go very fast, so do not expect to travel a far distance. That said, the operator was very professional and we had fun. We pulled up next to Body Glove and "copied" their choice of a snorkel location. Just do not expect a speed boat - b/c this is NOT what you are renting. Have fun!

Anon ~ thank you for your reply. I was looking for someone who had rented a boat from them since I read that really bad review on Yahoo - the motor failed! All I could imagine was watching our ship as she cruised away without us! :eek: Horrible thoughts! However, it sounds like you had a good time other than the fact that the boats do not go very fast. I knew that going in - we live along the Ohio River and some lakes nearby have them. I like the fact that we can go and do what we want without others telling us what to do. They say they give you a map with how far you can go in the amount of time you have the boat for. Did you take a full day, half day or 2 hours? Thanks for your help!

Thanks Jackie ~ I saw your review and a pix of your BIG fish! So cool! I will check with them to compare our options!

Aloha,

Jackie ~ I plan to write a detailed review of each port separate from the cruise. This way everyone can read what is relevant to what they are looking for. How else can I show how much I appreciate all the help I have received on these boards! Just don't expect them before the new year! ;) I figure I will be busy with Christmas and New Years after we get back on Dec 20. :D

Aloha,

Archived