Stuck Filter

macka

Hello Folks.

I have a telephoto zoom lens that I've had for a good 5 years for my Cannon DSLR. When I bought it, the camera shop told me to get a (I think) polarising filter which I did, and he fitted. I recently got a set of three cannon filters, but blow me if I can't get the old filter off the lens. I think it may be cross threaded, but the thread is so fine it's hard to tell. I'm worried that if I get it off, it'll ruin the thread for good and I won't be able to use my new filters at all. I've tried as much brute strength as I dare with one of those rubbery bottle/jar openers.

Do you think I should live with it and forget the new lenses? It's my only lens apart from the standard lens that came with the camera.

Hello Folks.

I have a telephoto zoom lens that I've had for a good 5 years for my Cannon DSLR. When I bought it, the camera shop told me to get a (I think) polarising filter which I did, and he fitted. I recently got a set of three cannon filters, but blow me if I can't get the old filter off the lens. I think it may be cross threaded, but the thread is so fine it's hard to tell. I'm worried that if I get it off, it'll ruin the thread for good and I won't be able to use my new filters at all. I've tried as much brute strength as I dare with one of those rubbery bottle/jar openers.

Do you think I should live with it and forget the new lenses? It's my only lens apart from the standard lens that came with the camera.

Freeze a plate full of water. Set the lens somewhare warm for a while. (don't let it get over about 100°). Take the lens and set it filter-down on the sheet of ice for about a minute. Pick up the lens, put a damp wadhcloth over the filter and twist it off. The cold will shrink the metal of the filter ring and the washcloth will provide friction.

Works 99% of the time.

BTW, that's why brass framed filters are so expensive, they will not micro-corrode to the aluminum lens threads.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived