Looking for Wind Star Feedback

dspears

In July, my wife and I are scheduled to go on the 7 day cruise from Athens to Istanbul on the Wind Star. We are looking for some feedback (food, service, etc) on this ship from anyone who has been on it in the last six months. I am having a little bit of sticker shock and want to make sure that I will feel good about this rather large financial commitment. I don't mind spending the money on a wonderful experience.Thank you!

Dan

Yes, it has been a while that we did this cruise, but then again we had such a wonderful time that I would not hesitate to recommend it to every one. Even though we all have read some concerns about the current management and service, I cannot imagine that it would affect the shore excursions to some of the best ports we have been to. Keep in mind that the ships is really fun, the food and service has always been very good in our view and I don't believe it could have turned around that drastically.

If you are interested in some of the ports we visited and things you might want to do, go to this web site:

http://www.*****.com/greekisles.htm

You'll see that this trip was the reverse of what you are planning but you might still find it useful.

I was on Wind Star in Jan. 2007, and Wind Spirit in Jan. 2008, and absolutely LOVED both those ships and itineraries. Although I've read negative reports about Wind Surf, reports from the 2 smaller ships have been good. I've booked Wind Star for 14 day in 2009, Costa Rica through the Panama Canal to Barbados.

For me, those ships are in a class by themselves. I saw no lessening of the experience between Jan. '07 and Jan. '08, and the change of ownership took place in that time frame.

The European voyages do cost more -- but considering the exchange rate between the US dollar and the Euro, that's not surprising. Consider what one would be paying for a land-based vacation in Europe at this time.

I hope you have a marvelous time!

• 2 weeks later...

We did Athens-Istanbul last August and loved it. Remember, this is not a mega-cruise ship, but we believe the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. it's very personal type of cruise, and those sails against a blue sky or full moon are incredible.

Archived