Hertz Car Rental in Warnemunde - Why does their Call Center Tell you NO?

custompcsys

After reading several threads on here regarding renting a car to get to Berlin from Warnemunde, I made a a reservation online at the Hertz Rostock office that is billed as being the most convenient for those arriving by luxury liner. Since there was no place online to note that I would be arriving by cruise ship and wanted the car delivered to the Hertz office at the pier, I called the Hertz international desk and asked them to arrange it for me. Two separate agents (I called twice to see if I was getting the right answer) swore to me that they have no facility at the Warnemunde pier, even after telling them I was looking at a picture of it that I got here on CC! No matter how much I tried to tell them they did, no one would do anything except note my reservation that I was arriving on the Crown Princess. I ended up cancelling the reservation because I didn't want to take the chance of the car not being there when I showed up and being stuck.

Has anyone had this issue with Hertz? If so, how did you get around it? I thought of calling the local Hertz office in Rostock myself, but I don't speak German, and there is no e-mail address listed on the Hertz website.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

After reading several threads on here regarding renting a car to get to Berlin from Warnemunde, I made a a reservation online at the Hertz Rostock office that is billed as being the most convenient for those arriving by luxury liner. Since there was no place online to note that I would be arriving by cruise ship and wanted the car delivered to the Hertz office at the pier, I called the Hertz international desk and asked them to arrange it for me. Two separate agents (I called twice to see if I was getting the right answer) swore to me that they have no facility at the Warnemunde pier, even after telling them I was looking at a picture of it that I got here on CC! No matter how much I tried to tell them they did, no one would do anything except note my reservation that I was arriving on the Crown Princess. I ended up cancelling the reservation because I didn't want to take the chance of the car not being there when I showed up and being stuck.

Has anyone had this issue with Hertz? If so, how did you get around it? I thought of calling the local Hertz office in Rostock myself, but I don't speak German, and there is no e-mail address listed on the Hertz website.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

If I am calling the HERTZ-Reservation in Germany I'll normally get the same information if I am asking for cars at Miami or New York Port.

You are calling in a call center where the people are underpaid and have no idea what you are talking about.

Therefore your discussion is unnecessary and it would have been more helpful for you to read here carefully. I do not trust them and call normally a rental station at the destination to get information.

And to be honest: you are calling in former Eastern Germany and written communication gives the folk a chance to have some reaction time and to write you instead giving you an instant answer at the phone. Depending from which part of the US you are from it's quite different for us European to understand you.

The car delivery service at Warnemünde Pier is provided by following Hertz location:

St. Petersburger Straße in Rostock (Warnemünde is part of Rostock!), Germany.

You just must open the additional remarks and get get this:

This location is the most convenient one if your are arriving by International Luxury Liners

Hertz does not have a rental station at Warnemünde Pier but a release point where you get your keys.

Be sure hundereds of cruisers made it successfully by booking St. Petersburger Straße and add the information "Arrival by ship".

All you need to do is very easy:

1. Make your reservation via St. Petersburger Straße in Rostock by internet.

2. Make a print out of your reservation.

3. Write in English and German following remark:

PLEASE RETURN BY FAX THE DELIVERY AT WARNEMÜNDE CRUISE TERMINAL // BITTE BESTÄTIGEN SIE DURCH RÜCKSENDUNG PER TELEFAX DIE ZUSTELUNG AM KREUZFAHRTTERMINAL IN WARNEMÜNDE: 001-3-digit-US-area code-fax no.

and

ARRIVAL / ANKUNFT: name of your ship +arrival date in format DD.MM.YYYY -

(but use for MM: April, Mai, Juni, Juli, August, September, Oktober - to avoid delivery in wrong month as we use other month format).

4. Fax this sheet to 011-49-381-7699642

Normally you should get a response within 72 hours.

Be sure a lot of cruisers did it this way quite successfully before.

Good Luck!

Regards,

HeinBloed

I rented a car from Hertz last June in Warnemunde. I posted my experience on another thread last spring. I had absolutely no problem with it and I was in and out of the office and in the car by 9:20 AM. I will try to find the post but keep at it. I had trouble with 2 international agents until I got one who knew exactly what I was talking about. They told me I would have a confirm in a couple of days once they reached the local office. I think that the problem is that the office in Warnnemunde is a franchise and not company owned. Once I find the information and/or the thread I will post again.

Hi Custompcsys-

I found the thread for the Hertz rental in Warnemunde. It is under the Baltic Ports and is called "Car Rental in Warnemunde". Check it out at

http://boards.critic.comshowthread.php?t=551709.

Good Luck!

Thanks for taking the time to find it! Can you double-check the link though please? I clicked on it and got a page not found error. Thanks! :)

Thanks for taking the time to find it! Can you double-check the link though please? I clicked on it and got a page not found error. Thanks! :)

For some strange reason I also get an error message so I copied the information here:

I rented a car online from Hertz for 6/20. On another thread, I was given the step by step on how to do this. Once you rent the car (either on the web or by telephone through Hertz international reservations toll free number- they are in the US and speak English) tell the representative that you want the car delivered to the Warnemunde cruise terminal. If they don't know what you are talking about don't give up. Ask for a supervisor or get someone on the phone who knows what to do (I was fortunate enough the very first time). The correct response from them is that they will email the Rostock office (closest office to the pier) and tell them you want the car delivered there. They will tell you it will take approximately 3-4 business days to confirm and that they will call you to confirm. Once they call you to confirm, ask them to update your reservation to reflect the delivery and email it to you. They will do this. I received an updated reservation by email after receiving the confirming phone call within 2 business days and asking that it be sent to me (it was within 10 minutes). Under the "Comments" section, it states "ARRIV BY SHIP REQ DEL WARNEMUNDE" and then it states my reservation #. I then confirmed this again with another agent on another day. You may get stonewalled so be patient but firm. Hope this helps!

If yoy want to see all the info on that thread, it is under the Baltic Ports and on page 16 (I think) of that thread under "Car Rental in Warnemunde". Hope this helps!

I reserved through Hertz for our stop there on the Century on June 12. Then, I had somebody I knew (actually a customer who stops by our shop) who spoke German call the office directly (although you would have to do this in the morning due to the time difference) and they confirmed that it would be no trouble at all to do this, and to tell me that the pick up point was at "Baltic Point", 100 metres to the right from where the ship docks. They also told her that we could drop off the car as late as we wanted (we are renting it for only one day obviously) at the same location, so long as the ship is docked at the harbor. By the way, pretty standard, but we were told we needed to bring a passport, credit card, and drivers license, although they said that an international driver's permit was not absolutely required. I am wondering, though, if it would be a good idea.

and to tell me that the pick up point was at "Baltic Point", 100 metres to the right from where the ship docks.

As CENTURY is supposed to berth P8 on June 12, you need to walk about 400 meters and when you leave the ship just cross the parking to the end.

The next building is the Baltic Point.

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

Here you'll find some helpful information to find the location:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Warnemuende.pdf

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived