Video Camera Fogging Up.

Hi KandCsailing,

We have just returned from a cruise on Pacific Dawn (ex Regal Princess) and had the same problem with both our still and video cameras. The only solution we found was to put them outside (if possible) around half an hour before we wanted to use them. We were lucky we had a balcony and could do this!! We were also advised to not use them before the lens' had unfogged.

Sarah

The problem is caused by a cold camera and warm and humid air. If the camera is warm there will not be condensation. There are many ways to warm the camera. I place a small night light inside the camera bag an hour before use. You can also blow warm air from a hair drier into the bag. A reptile rock from the local pet store works well also.

Another method: Place the camera in a plastic bag (airtight) and then go out, allowing the camera to warm up before removing it from the bag. Large ziplocs work well for small camcorders and point/shoot cameras.

In the past, I've "stored" my camera behind the window curtain on the window sill at night. The cabins are usually much cooler than outside and this keeps the camera closer to outside temps. Of course, don't do this during the daylight hours or you might fry your camera!

Archived