Roatan Pics

nasvhillecruise

Here are some pics from our wonderful day in Roatan:

1st picture: as we're docking in Roatan

2nd picture: one of the shipwrecks

3rd picture: watching the sunset on the beach

4th picture: view from the beginning of the zipline course

5th picture: my son on his 1st zipline

This was one of my favorite days on the cruise. I also have pics of the monkeys at Victor's if anyone wants to see them.

Debbie

P1310145.jpg.74be2dee6d1067c1f917f116953fb3d4.jpg

P1310179.jpg.40c2fcbfc7040bd369b0cce4717671ff.jpg

P1310219.jpg.3c05a93c3c62852b2cf1fb3a3462a68a.jpg

P1310190.jpg.95990c624bda2a1ad458fc8cab61773f.jpg

P1310199.jpg.8813a5653882eaad840b8724f1542740.jpg

Great pictures!! My family and some friends will be visiting Victor in July and would love to see some pictures! Which zip line did you do? We are doing the extreme zip line, it is the longest and highest one they have. Please fill me in on any info you have it would be greatly appriciated. gnelson002@satx.rr.com thanks Greg

Thanks for the photos. How old is your son? Which zipline did you do?

We will be in Roatan in November with our 10-year-old grandson and are considering doing this with him.

Michael is 5. We did the Jungle Canopy zipline. It has shorter zips & you do not have to use a hand brake as you do on some of the others. Victor Bodden tours suggested this zipline since we have such a young son. I don't think the others allow children under 10, but since your grandson is 10, he should be old enough to do the others, which from what I hear are longer, higher, & some/all require hand brakes.

I know Michael had a BLAST & I'm sure your grandson will enjoy whichever one you choose.

Debbie

Debbie,

I think I saw somewhere on the boards that you cruised on the Spirit out of New Orleans. We are leaving on that cruise on 3/23. Only in port from 3-8. I was so disappointed that our time there was so short. Did you have plenty of time to do everything. We really want to see some of the area and zipline, but will it be too dark to see anything if we zipline first? Also, did you have anytime to snorkel at all? We will have my 71 year old mother with us and she is not sure she will zip or not, is there an area for her to watch? If you have any further tips for this ship, we would appreciate it. Thanks, Brenda

Debbie,

I think I saw somewhere on the boards that you cruised on the Spirit out of New Orleans. We are leaving on that cruise on 3/23. Only in port from 3-8. I was so disappointed that our time there was so short. Did you have plenty of time to do everything. We really want to see some of the area and zipline, but will it be too dark to see anything if we zipline first? Also, did you have anytime to snorkel at all? We will have my 71 year old mother with us and she is not sure she will zip or not, is there an area for her to watch? If you have any further tips for this ship, we would appreciate it. Thanks, Brenda

We were on the Spirit & it WAS a short visit. That was my big regret of the cruise - not having more time in Roatan as it ended up being my favorite port. Anyway, we had time to quickly tour 1/2 of the island & stop at the 2 shipwrecks before getting to the zipline. The zipline we did (Jungle Canopy) took about 45 minutes since it was just the 3 of us. There was nowhere to watch although there was a covered pavilion at the end where someone not participating could wait. They would see your last zip from there, but not any of the others. I'm not sure how the other ziplines are laid out. AFter the zipline, we went straight to the beach (about a 20 minute drive) where the sun was setting, then to Victor's after dark to see the monkeys. I doubt there would be time to snorkel as well as zipline with the time allotted. I hope that helps.

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Michael did go alone. He had the choice of going with the guide (tandem) or by himself. He chose to go by himself. So the guide would hook us all on (with two separate cables) then go over, then Michael would go, then me, then hubby. The Jungle Canopy seems SUPER SAFE. I can't imagine having problems there, especially since they have the regular cable & the safety cable.

Michael did go alone. He had the choice of going with the guide (tandem) or by himself. He chose to go by himself. So the guide would hook us all on (with two separate cables) then go over, then Michael would go, then me, then hubby. The Jungle Canopy seems SUPER SAFE. I can't imagine having problems there, especially since they have the regular cable & the safety cable.

Roatan Jungle Canopy Zip only has 1 cable line from station to station. There is no safety cable.

You have a safety line that clips into the main caribiner (which is clipped to the main cable), but there isn't a 2nd cable that your safetey line gets clipped to there.

Roatan Jungle Canopy Zip only has 1 cable line from station to station. There is no safety cable.

You have a safety line that clips into the main caribiner (which is clipped to the main cable), but there isn't a 2nd cable that your safetey line gets clipped to there.

Mike, Don't know when I'll get back to Roatan but loved the ziplining. We did the Gumbalimba Park one the day before the lady fell. Felt very safe because it did have 2 separate cables. Do you know what other lines in Roatan have two cables? Thanks.

Mike, Don't know when I'll get back to Roatan but loved the ziplining. We did the Gumbalimba Park one the day before the lady fell. Felt very safe because it did have 2 separate cables. Do you know what other lines in Roatan have two cables? Thanks.

I only have 1st hand experience from the Roatan Jungle Canopy. I've read that Pirate's also only has 1 line. I don't know about South Shore.

I'll be honest, even with just the single cable, I never felt unsafe. Those cables are about an inch thick twisted steel and you're clipped into them with 2 lines from your harness. I guess the biggest threat to the cables would be a tree falling on it and possibly creating an unseen weakness or kink. The only other thing I could think of would be the cable loosening from it's anchor to either platform, but that seems unlikely from what I saw.

We had a great time at Roatan Jungle Canopy. I felt it was a great starter course (since it wasn't super high off the ground with a max height of 45 feet I believe). I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Actually, now that I've experienced the Jungle Canopy zips, I'd love to try out the extreme course at Pirates.

Archived