Passports?

LKM1025

I just booked a cruise for May for myself and a friend. I have a passport, but my friend does not. Should she apply for one or will she be okay with her birth certificate and ID? I have read that passports aren't required but does anyone have experience with using the birth certificate or is it better to use a passport?

I just booked a cruise for May for myself and a friend. I have a passport, but my friend does not. Should she apply for one or will she be okay with her birth certificate and ID? I have read that passports aren't required but does anyone have experience with using the birth certificate or is it better to use a passport?

I believe all cruise guests do need a passport as of January 2008.

I'm not sure which cruise line you are booked on ( I would definatly check with your crusise line though ) but here is information that NCL supplies for their travelers:

As early as Summer 2008, the U.S. government will require all of our guests to be in possession of a valid passport when sailing on any NCL cruise.

Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail.

What kind of travel documents, visa or passport do I need?

The following regulations are currently in effect.

CRUISING - FOR U.S. AND CANADIAN CITIZENS:

Hawaii Cruises

Inter-island Cruising. There's no need for a passport when you sail on any NCL America inter-island cruise. So if your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo.

Fanning Island Itineraries. If your particular cruise calls on Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati, you are leaving the United States and a valid passport is required.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

You only need proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, a valid or recently expired passport, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a report of your birth abroad.

NCL strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air.

Europe and South America Cruises

A valid passport is required and in some cases, a tourist visa is also required.

AIR TRAVEL - FOR U.S. AND CANADIAN CITIZENS:

For all air travel into the U.S. from Canada or any other international location, you'll need a valid passport.

AIR AND CRUISE TRAVEL - FOR ALL CITIZENS OTHER THAN U.S. OR CANADIAN:

All guests must carry a valid passport (valid at least 6 months from the departure date from the U.S.), and if necessary, a multiple entry visa is required for entry into the United States (B-2 Visitors Visa), or a visa waiver. Please be sure to check with the proper agencies and authorities (such as your local immigration office) before you sail because we can't board you without the proper documents.

FOR ALL NCL GUESTS:

U.S. regulations pertaining to required travel documents are updated frequently. The information provided here is meant to offer some guidelines for travel, but please note that these details may not be complete. To be sure you have the latest information, check with your travel professional or the proper authorities (such as your local immigration office) before your cruise to make sure you have the proper documentation. Cruise refunds may not be issued if you're denied boarding due to lack of proper documents.

I believe all cruise guests do need a passport as of January 2008.

I'm not sure which cruise line you are booked on ( I would definatly check with your crusise line though )

Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail.

Passports are not necessarily required for cruising yet. It depends on where you are going and when. It would help if the OP had mentioned what cruise line and where she was going, but the best advise is:

1. Check the website above for the latest information straight from the horses mouth.

2. Check with your cruise line. Some have said they want a passport even though the Government has not made them mandatory yet.

3. Have her get one anyway. They are good for 10 years and she will have it should the opportunity arise in the future for a sudden trip overseas.

Cheers,

Sorry, I should have specified the cruise line and where we are going. We will be on a Carnival cruise going to Mexico. It's a 5 night out of Galveston. I called Carnival today and they said that as long as we sailed before June, that she did not need a passport. I think that she is going to go ahead and apply for one though, so that should she need it, she'll have it.

You don't need a passport.

In saying that, we got ours a few years ago in anticipation of the rules changing. Travelling with a passport is easier and would advise getting one just to get it over with, even though it's not needed on this trip.

Proof of application will mean little to an airline or a cruise ship. That was one reason in my comment to make sure you at least have a copy of the BC in case it doesn't arrive in time. Then you have a plan B.

Well, if you lose your birth certificate anyone can pick it up and assume your identity. However, a passport has your picture... Plus, it is better to have and not need than need and not have. Get it now before they raise the price it is good for 10 years...

Archived