Snorketling with 7 yr old

lucyspals

Years ago we went to "Blue Lagoon". This is where my daughter got her first real snorkel exprience. (We did practice in the tub for a few weeks before hand....::::sniff, sniff:::: I miss those days!)

I do not know if it is still around, but it had some great fish to see, and was snorkeling right off the beach, instead of in the middle of the ocean. She could stand up and still see lots, and I think she never went past 4-5 feet of water (?)

I would suggest you buy her own little mask and snorkel. Most places wil not have tiny sizes. I would also suggest you get her a life vest in her size, not (not!) the cheap orange kind that will keep forcing her head out of the water, or the diver belt which could actually end up holding her head under the water. A water ski type vest will provide boyancy, without danger.

I would also suggest you don not bother with flippers. The bonus of being able to move more quickly by the water is negated by the difficulty of putting them on and walking with them and dealing with them, etc. Water shoes are much better to protect her little feet.

So here is what happened with our 7 year old. we went there, and we had our own gear, so we were in the water pretty quickly. We did see lots of other small kids there, and we saw them struggling to put on flippers, and struggling to get in the water, and then struggling to swim. We walked out, and when she was waist deep she put on her mask/snorkel. I held her hand, and reminded her all about our lessons in the tub.

She began to snorkel, and immediately came up to tell us that she was scared, and there were a million fish down there. So we SAT in our mask and snorkel, and would come of for air every few seconds to discuss what we were looking at. We gave different fish different names, like TOE FISH, and YELLOW FISH, and UGLY FISH, and PRETTY YELLOW FISH. Then we played Fish Tag, where we tried to touch a fish. This got her over her fear. And then we began to snorkel, stopping occasionally to point out something or for her to ask a question. She was so excited! And brave! I have to say, just typing this, I remember it was one of the best days of my life.

I hope Blue Lagoon is still open. Finding good snorkel off the beach is hard, but to take a 7 year old into open water could prove disaterous.

Have a great vacation. I wish I still had a 7 year old. Mine is 16 and has snorkeled with me off a few dozen coasts. This summer we are off to Greece!

Archived