Travelling solo- waikiki beach at night

June Pay

June, I have always felt very safe on the beach of Waikiki. Where are you staying? It seems that there are always many people taking a stroll after dark. The lights of Waikiki, moonight on the water and warm temperature is just wonderful! (Ah, I can feel it now!!!!).

Thanks for your response. I am staying at the Waikiki Beachcomber, which I know is very central - thought it would probably be O.K., but glad that I asked. Only three and a half weeks away - my first time, so you can imagine my excitement!

My son's girlfriend went to Oahu alone, sometime after they first started dating. In broad daylight, she was walking on Waikiki Beach and was robbed of her purse, which, needless to say, had all of her money and credit cards. This occurred on the first day of her vacation. As always, take precautions wherever you are.

I agree with you. There have been a couple broad daylight attacks on visitors here in the past couple of weeks. One was on a solo man, and one was in a group of Japanese tourists. You just never know. While Waikiki has a lot of people at night, I would definitely avoid darker areas, the beach which is unlit, and any alley-ways/access ways. Just be sure you know where youre going and stay in lit places.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I often travel alone, so I am well aware of not going into dark, unlit areas, etc. I will also only walk in the well populated areas wherever I travel. (I was in England many years ago and twice someone tried to steal my watch - once on a very busy street.) I will just go with my instincts and be aware of everything around me. As I live in a large city, I am pretty street smart. Thanks again.

Archived