Dress Code?

AuntieBarb

From our prior visit to Bermuda (daytime only), we learned that beach wear is not acceptable on the streets, so appropriate "day wear" is required for changing into afterwards. Perfectly understandable.

However, is there any sort of evening dress code, other than what would be appropriate for a restaurant?

TIA!

I'm sure some locals will jump in to answer. My info dates back 20 years ago, when I lived there. Back then a jacket and tie was required at almost every restuarant on the island. I don't know if that's changed or not.

I have seen the way locals and tourists dress becoming more casual over the years. I still bring a sportcoat and tie for most nicer restaurants, but the majority of folks I saw the last time I was there in 2005, were wearing collared shirts and dress type pants or dockers.

Eric

We traveled to Bermuda in April of 2007 for the first time and hearing about the more "formal" atmosphere on the island, packed mostly Dockers and nice golf slacks with collared/button down shirts, etc. I would normally pack a little more "casually" for a long weekend trip like that but I ended up over packing because I wasn't quite sure what to take.

Anyway, we were quite surprised how overdressed we actually were compared to others. It really didn't matter to us and I would usually dress like that going out to dinner anyway, but for those of you who haven't been there in a while, you might be surprised to see that things are a little more casual then it used to be. It really wasn't beach weather while we were there so I can't attest to seeing people running around Hamilton in beachwear but I did seem to hear that is still frowned upon.

Dave

Seemed it was an adventure when we spent months in Europe how NOT to look like a tourist. Now that I'm retired, that game is not important, but did raise the question in my mind, "do they really wear Bermuda shorts all the time?"

Archived