Pre Cruise: day trip from Rome to Orvieto help

I've done lots of research and have decided that I would like to go to Orvieto, see the duomo, stop at a winery, take some photographs, exploring and then head back to Rome.

I understand that Orvieto is much calmer and quieter after 4 pm. I have looked on numerous websites (igougo, tripadvisor, virtualtourist etc) and I can't find much about tours to Orvieto. All the tours seem to include Assisi, and although that's a nice place, I just want a relaxing day in the umbria countryside.

For those that have done this do you have tour guide suggestions? I really enjoy getting a guide to provide information, details, history. Perhaps we take a train to Orvieto and then hire meet up with a pre-arranged guide there? The hard part is, I can't find info about private guides/tours to Orvieto. I've spent the entire day doing searches and I"m not having luck. I don't want to use viator because they contract out and I've poor things about grayline.

Advice and suggestions needed. Oh, we will be in Rome June 22 - June 27...

I shouldn't hit 'submit reply' so soon. One more comment/question...I've tried to use the trentalia website and it only shows one train depature from Rome to Orvieto in June...what the heck? I don't mind taking a train and coming back in the evening, but is it safe? are there even train schedules? It's my understanding there are numerous trips each day....

Hi,

Although we are not in a pre-cruise situation, this might be of interest to you.

Our ship does dock in Civitavecchia for an entire day and we decided not to return to Rome, but to spend a leisurely day in the countryside. We booked a private 9-hr. tour with www.romeinlimo.com,. They have received numerious positive comments posted on CruiseCritic about Rome In Limo Tours. We will be visiting the Villages/towns of Tuscania, Civita Bagnoregio(The location alone is very unique), and Orvieto.

Here is some info on Civita Bagnoregio:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/civitabd.htm

http://www.civitadibagnoregio.it/english/civita/history.htm

Some info on Tuscania:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuscania

If you decide to contact them for further details, you will more than likely speak with Jnay, who is very helpful & quick to respond to e-mail inquiries.

Stay well,

Anthony

I don't know where you are staying but a few years ago, we rented a car and drove to Orvieto for the day from Rome. It was our first taste of Tuscany/Umbria. We are cruising from Venice in about 10 days and after the cruise will spend a week in Tuscany at an agriturismo. Orvieto is a town we will visit again. If you make it, be sure to try their Ovieto Classico wine...delish. And the duomo is amazing.

there is a fast IC train every two hours and a slower train also every two hours. The slower train really isn't that much slower (fastest: 59 min; slowest: 1:13). There are few additional through trains during the morning and evening peak times.

The train station is a bit outside the city walls, but that allows you to take the Bracci funicular up to the old town.

For a list of approved local guides and what languages they speak:

http://www.orvietoonline.com/guide_turistiche_orvieto.html

Nice little town.

Paul

We went to Orvieto last summer during the day. It was about an hour from Rome--great to leave the noise, hustle and bustle of Rome. The stop is Orvieto. When we were there, the funicular wasn't working (probably is now), so we were taken by bus up to the town. Very cute/quaint. During the day, it looked like everything was shut down--it must be really pretty at night. IMHO-- You don't need a guide. You can find the Cathedral on your own. Just follow what u see. Prices are cheaper than in Rome. It's a very small town.

Archived