shell hunting

MJB1437

Are there any places with good shell hunting on any of the islands? We will be going in 2 weeks (not a cruise so we will have a few days on each island and a car). I'll take any suggestions since I love collecting shells.

Myrna

Well, I havent been to all the beaches on O'ahu, but out of the ones I have been to, the one that was the best for shells and beach glass was a beach in Barbers Point. Its on the leeward side of the island. Not very crowded....its not one of the more popular beaches. Hope that helps some.

Mandy

On Kauai, look for a Sunrise Shell...they are rare and beautiful...but since you probably won't find one yourself *smile* you can buy one if you want. We found a man parked at a lookout on the way up to Hanalai with some very beautiful shells of all kinds and several Sunrise shells. My friend bought one and several other kinds of shells.

My friend goes shelling all the time here in the Kona area. It's best after a storm though.

Emi

It's supposedly bad luck to take away anything you "find" in Hawaii. I heard that the PO's are swamped with thousand of items (ie: volcanic rock, shells, sand, etc.) returned (mostly anonymously) by tourists who have been plagued by misfortune ever since picking up these thing in the Islands. :eek:

KTE

I thought the bad luck thing only applied to vocanoes. Don't tell me I'll have bad luck with shells and sea glass. I don't need any more bad luck (I'm going through some right now) and I'd really be depressed not to be able to do some beach combing.

Thanks Spleen - but just to be on the safe side, we've always bought everything we've brought home. I did get the impression, though from speaking with various tour guides, that the bad luck comes from anything "picked up" - but true or not (and we're not overly superstitious) - we figure "why take a chance?:D

KTE

I think that the tour guides might say that bad luck comes from picking up "anything" because it sure can make a mess if you try to cart dirty, smelly things back onto their vans and buses.

Archived