RCL or Carnival with 2 yo

sunrise&set

Trying to decide on which cruiseline. We have sailed Carnival 4 times and RCL once and just took our DS (13 months at the time) on NCL. We were looking at Carnival for next winter when DS will be 2 because they have the camp that starts at age 2; however, I don't think we'd really be using the camp much. So now I'm looking at RCL's Freedom class ships for the BabyZone swimming area, which I know we'll get a lot of use out of with DS. Problem is, we like to book suites now (DH insists for the space!) and RCL will be up to $1000 more! For those of you who have sailed both with kids (like cruisinmama!!!), which would you choose? Is the extra cost worth it with RCL? I am leaning towards them now, but I guess DH will have the final say when he hears how much. We still have to decide which week we're sailing because we may or may not be bringing our then 15 yo DD and a friend. My parents are going too but they're leaving it up to me!

We were just on Carnival last week (we've sailed both RC & Car). We usually do NOT sail during school vacations but this was a group family trip and I was outvoted.

Having said that my boys (both 8 loved RC last year 3 weeks before christmas) - the RC camp was very well organized, large and not overly crowded. Last week (Easter vacation) on Carnival the 6-8 year old groups was literally a ZOO. WAY too crowded and the kids were terribly unruly.....the boys refused to go except for a few hours during port days when things weren't very crowded.

Now my little ones 3 & 4 LOVED camp carnival last week....it was a small group and well organized. They couldn't wait to attend and begged to go. Face painting and balloons were a HIT!! The small group size and individualized attention had them asking to go and it really allowed us time with the older kids.

Now my little ones do attend daycare so they are used to outside caregivers.

I just meant to described how different kids with different groups may react. Are you going during a vacation period? Depending on the group your two year old may really enjoy the activities.

Judy

I really appreciated the fact that we got some free childcare for the little ones....it was worth choosing Carnival to me this trip....just wouldn't go during a vacation period.

Well you know how much I love the RCCL Freedom class ships. But I started sailing them when my youngest was 3 so she could go to the club. Before that, we sailed Carnival with her twice and Disney once.

So yes, for the ship I would choose FOS. And he could use the Baby Zone. And you could try in cabin sitting....or just ask the gparents to watch him for one night so you can go out for a little alone time.

But for the camp, I would choose Carnival for that age. My youngest LOVED LOVED LOVED camp carnival.

So I guess you have to decide which is more important to you...lol.

Archived