? regarding Newark Airport

judbusluc

We are going on the Canada and New England cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We are flying into LGA but leaving from Newark. can you do Princess transfers at the end of the cruise if you are leaving out of Newark or do they only do LGA and JFK.

Thanks in advance!

We are going on the Canada and New England cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We are flying into LGA but leaving from Newark. can you do Princess transfers at the end of the cruise if you are leaving out of Newark or do they only do LGA and JFK.

Thanks in advance!

They don't like doing EWR, but they do. They will try to talk you into LGA or JFK, but just don't give in.

A Princess CSR told me they cover all three: LGA, JFK and EWR. She didn't try to talk me out of anything.

They quoted a price of $60 for both NYC and Quebec transfers.

Transfers are of course included when booking the hotel(s) thru Princess, if you're willing to pay their hotel rates!:eek:

EWR travel is actually closer to the Brooklyn Cruise Pier than JFK.

Too bad there's not a direct ferry from EWR. :)

The Brooklyn cruise terminal is closer to EWR only as the crow flies. The roads and traffic have other ideas. And, since crossing a state line is involved, transportation costs increase. (A taxi from Brooklyn to EWR must return to NYC empty, due to local franchise laws and restrictions.) Best to utilize JFK or LGA with using Brooklyn. EWR is the better choice for the Manhattan cruise terminal.

The Brooklyn cruise terminal is closer to EWR only as the crow flies. The roads and traffic have other ideas. And, since crossing a state line is involved, transportation costs increase. (A taxi from Brooklyn to EWR must return to NYC empty, due to local franchise laws and restrictions.) Best to utilize JFK or LGA with using Brooklyn. EWR is the better choice for the Manhattan cruise terminal.[/quote]

There's no argument with that. that's why the wry comment re a direct ferry.

However, even with the roundabout from EWR, it's still closer than JFK.

Mapquest:

EWR --> cruise pier 17.41 miles, 29 minutes

JFK --> cruise pier 20.67 miles, 31 minutes

LGA --> cruise pier 11.70 miles, 19 minutes

The best choice for land travel is obviously LGA, but air schedules/prices may result in EWR as the best solution.

I have driven between the Brooklyn Navy Pier and Newark. I prefer that to driving dam near anywhere in Houston!:p

I must admit the "Squeeze Left" signs did intimidate me.

Once in a vain effort to find the NY Turnpike north, I found myself headed back to Manhattan on the Tapanzee Bridge.

It was that darn Bear Mountain sign this way direction sign that did me in!

I actually decided to do EWR for our Canada/New England in 2009 because we don't fly, only do Amtrak, and Amtrak stops right at the airport, as opposed to trying to deal with getting a cab at Penn Station and get to Brooklyn from there. Thus, we can do the Princess transfers both ways and not have to worry about taxis.

There's no argument with that. that's why the wry comment re a direct ferry.

However, even with the roundabout from EWR, it's still closer than JFK.

Mapquest:

EWR --> cruise pier 17.41 miles, 29 minutes

JFK --> cruise pier 20.67 miles, 31 minutes

LGA --> cruise pier 11.70 miles, 19 minutes

My mapquest search actually shows 15.5 miles and 26 minutes. However, that 26 minutes is fantasy! May work at 4AM on a Sunday, but not in the normal course of a day. The normal best would be about 45 minutes; but, 1:15 is more like it.

My mapquest search actually shows 15.5 miles and 26 minutes. However, that 26 minutes is fantasy! May work at 4AM on a Sunday, but not in the normal course of a day. The normal best would be about 45 minutes; but, 1:15 is more like it.

During non-rush hour....my best guess would be 30-45 minutes...since you don't really have to drive through the city (Holland Tunnel to the West Side Hwy to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel).

Now, if you ever had to take the Lincoln Tunnel to the Midtown Tunnel...that is a nightmare!

On our cruise on the Crown last May, we flew in and out of Newark. We shared a van with another couple going to the ship, but they had an entire bus of people going back to Newark. There should and will be other people who choose to fly in/out of Newark and Princess will provide the transfers. We didn't mind the trip in the least and it actually goes (or did then) right past ground zero.

Enjoy your trip!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/ewr:US/Bowne+St+%26+Imlay+St+Brooklyn+NY+11231/

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/jfk:US/Bowne+St+%26+Imlay+St+Brooklyn+NY+11231/

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/lga:US/Bowne+St+%26+Imlay+St+Brooklyn+NY+11231/

This might be a better guide for actual drive times during peak hours (except the distance from LGA is in error big time).:

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/f-bct.html

• 1 month later...

EWR was NOT our first choice BUT we got a killer of a deal on airfare....a 1 day special. It was way too good to pass up. We are flying from DTW to LGA at the beginning of the cruise and from EWR to DTW at the end. Total cost including taxes on Northwest was $120.00 per person. Couldn't pass it up!

Judy

a car service to EWR from Red Hook will run about $60-70.00 for the car(not per person) call Arecibo at 718 7836465.

A New York yellow cab MUST take you to EWR under city rules from Red Hook(or the Manhattan cruise terminal for that matter). Its meter plus 15.00(which reflects its needs to go back empty) plus round trip tolls and tip...in the $70-80 range in total.

www.nyc.gov/TLC

Archived