Marseille to Aix-en-Provence

I'm getting desperate for information re taking the bus or train from Marseille to Aix and would like to hear from someone who has done this route recently. I understand that I take a shuttle to Marseille's Viuex Port, then walk to train/bus station. After that, I'm confused. Can someone confirm the train route is temporarily closed, as I have read? Has anyone taken the bus? I have been told buses leave from Gare Routiere and then I've just read they leav from Porte d'Aix, the arc de triumph-like structure. Can someone please clarify?

Here's a quote I found on virtualtourist.com; it's dated 2002, though, so I don't know how accurate it is:

"If you arrive in Marseille and wish to get to Aix, here's a tip - don't bother going by train. I don't know of anybody who uses the train in Aix, because if you just pass over to the Gare Routiere - bus station, sorry - you will find that there are buses between Aix and Marseille every ten minutes, on average, taking just under half an hour (compared to forty-five minutes by train, with much less frequency). It costs 4.10 Euros, but if you are in Aix and travelling regularly to Marseille, get a carnet of six for just 13 Euros - but tell them you are a student, they wont ask for ID. Even older folk get away with it." http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8865/22070/9/

I would also like to hear from someone who has done this; I'd like to try it but not if it's too much hassle.

I'm getting desperate for information re taking the bus or train from Marseille to Aix and would like to hear from someone who has done this route recently. I understand that I take a shuttle to Marseille's Viuex Port, then walk to train/bus station. After that, I'm confused. Can someone confirm the train route is temporarily closed, as I have read? Has anyone taken the bus? I have been told buses leave from Gare Routiere and then I've just read they leav from Porte d'Aix, the arc de triumph-like structure. Can someone please clarify?

Archived