Things to see & do around the ports

afua

I am new to the Boards and new to cruising and have been blown away by the wealth of info posted here. I'm sooooo glad I stumbled onto this site!

We cruise 4/10 on PoA and thanks to reading the posts already made, we've almost completely changed our approach on what and how to do things. Up until a couple days ago we never even considered doing our own thing by car rental. I know that sounds weird to those of you who are long-time cruisers who know the ropes, but I honestly never thought really about it. :o Sounds like this is definitely the way to go!

My question: If we decide to take a quiet day and just stay around the ship and dock area, which port(s) would be the best ones to do this? Are most ports located within easy walking distance of a nice beach or the town? Shopping? I have no idea if most ports are located in town or out in the middle of nowhere with nothing in the area to do but get out and hit the road. Thanks in advance for any tips on this. We'd like to get our car rentals booked before we go (haven't done that yet), but if there's a port with interesting things to do within walking distance we might hold off planning anything there and play it by ear once we arrive.

Many thanks for this awsome forum! I wish I would have stumbled onto this weeks ago. I'd be a lot further ahead in planning our trip -- less than two weeks to go and I'm just getting started! :eek: My bad, I know!

Affie

From what I have read Kona is probably the best place to do this. There are shops and restaurants not far from the pier. This is also the tender port. For our POAM cruise in July this is the only port we are not renting a car. Instead we are doing a snorkeling trip early (Capt Zodiac) and then after a nice fish & chips lunch at Quinns Pub (close to the pier) a little shopping in Kona ... hopefully for a nice day. dpw

I havent checked your itinerary, but im assuming your port in lahania? If so, that was the only port we didnt rent a car (we ported on the other side of maui for two full days earlier in the cruise).

There was a great downtown area with tons of restaurants and stores... A large park area with beautiful trees, and a beach that we walked to that turned out to the warmest water we swam in the entire cruise... The beach was decent too...

It is a tender port, so you cant walk on and walk off...

good luck!

In Kona you tender in. Lots of shops to keep you busy. Also as said earlier the 2nd day in Kauai we used to go to beach right by the ship and hit the shops by the beach.

The best ports for just getting off the ship and wandering for shopping, eating/drinking, and scenery:

Kona

Lahaina (Maui) (shuttle to Ka'anapali, $1 each way, gives you a good beach with many activities)

Honululu (many Honolulu sights within walking distance, but not right by the piers; Waikiki beach not within walking distance, but easy bus ride)

The best port for walking to a good beach and with some shopping opportunities:

Nawiliwili (Kauai)

Ports in business/industrial areas without good shopping or beach in easy walking distance:

Kahului (Maui)

Hilo

beachchick

Archived