Holiday Pricing

LaPaloma

Just received a mailer selling the Holiday cruises--interesting thing--14 day cruises--Dec 20th normal pricing--on the Dec 19th cruise the only price shown is for the A suites. The note below says suites will be assigned 30 days prior to sailing, but if you want a specific suite, they will quote a price for that suite. It appears that if you want to take a chance, you might get a higher catagory suite for the $6995 A suite price. Could be a good deal--only time I have seen this type pricing was on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise, late in the season-- we took many years ago. We got a nice B catagory suite at a great price. We were told the pricing was that way because of lack of sales on that cruise. Can't believe that is the problem on a Holiday cruise. The Dec 19th cruise had a 40% discount--the Dec 19th cruise 25%--both 14 days! I wonder whats up? Don

There really isn't anything going on other than marketing.

Guarantee suites are generally made available by Seabourn after most or all of a particular category's suite assignments have been made so that bookings can be taken in anticipation of cancellations. They are usually not available until that status is reached. Many, many sailings have guarantees. You just need to book at the right time and ask, or have a TA that knows to ask.

Also, suite assignments usually are not made on guarantees until at least 30 days prior, but sometimes even the day of departure.

So it really doesn't mean there is low demand. It doesn't really mean much of anything practically speaking.

If you are not particular about location of your suite, a guarantee can be a way to possibly obtain a higher category...or, possibly, a suite far forward or by the lift, etc. It is a personal risk reward kind of thing.

For Seabourn it gives them backup reservations for a particular category and flexibility to move people around.

I know well what a guaranty is; I'm interested in knowing if there is any difference in the savings percentage, or is it still 25% off of brochure rates, as per the SB website?

Denyse,

The 12/19 Legend two-week cruise is offered at 40% discount (guarantee) according to the mailing. I personally find the itinerary for the Spirit (VietNam/Thailand) more interesting but it only offers a 25% discount.

johnny

Thanks, Johnny! Actually, the Spirit itinerary is awesome!!! I haven't received the mailing, but around Christmas time, there usually aren't many special offers because there is no difficulty in filling the suites. The holiday cruises usually sell out on their own, and understandably so.

It is very important that you not rely on the brochure pricing alone. There are specials that are run (some that are not widely published) and there are situations were certain travel agents are provided with specials, incentives, have group space, consortium deals, etc.

As for the difference in pricing between a guarantee and an assigned suite within a category, generally the pricing is the same. However, there may be certain promotions - especially when dealing with singles - that change the pricing from that generality.

Said simply: Sometimes you need to know what questions to ask and a road map to find the best pricing for a particular person's situation, but whatever you do don't just rely upon the pricing in the brochure.

Archived