Questions on Carnival Photo Packages

Hello all,

I have my wedding booked on the Carnival Glory for November 1 this year. I just received the 'photo package' pricing via e-mail from my wedding coordinator but I have some questions for someone with experience with these pacakages. My coordinator told me that the wallet size pictures must be selected from some of the other size pictures (either 8x10 or 5x7) and that since it says 'pictures must be purchased in their original size' - if the photographer prints something as an 8x10 that I want as a 5x7, I have to purchase the 8x10 first.

Can anyone help me understand how these packages help a bride save any money? I'm on a limited budget and trying to get the most for my money. I don't want to have to purchase a lot of pictures at sizes I don't want or can't use to get what I do want.

My wedding coordinator has been un-helpful so far (I think since the wedding is so far off she doens't want to talk to me) - so any help from you experienced brides would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

To be honest the pics we got were fine in the sizes our photographer made them in. If you buy enough to get the cd it dosent really matter because you can print it yourself at a different size. Anyways, most of the 5x7 were more candid shots and action shots, where as the 8x10 were more poses. We did chose our wallets from the pics we had choosen but we had already spent so much picture time we just wanted to finish up. I am sure if you get a good enough photographer it wont matter either. Our photographer was great, he even gave us a few free dinner pictures and a free frame and photo album.

Horsing Around,

To tell you the truth, after doing some research on these boards, let me give you some things to think about.

First of all, look at some other cruise wedding pictures to give you an idea of what you don't and don't want, and print them out and take them with you. I've made a list of must-get shots, such as getting ready, picture of FI when he first sees me walk down the aisle, etc. This way the photographer will know some of the shots you really want, and nothing will be left out. I've heard many brides say the day flies by so fast, and then realize afterwards they regretted not getting a certain shot. Also, I'm making a list of shots I DO NOT want- such as posed with fake backdrops, no canvas, and no 8 x 10's. I have decided to skip the packages and purchase all the pictures (5 X 7's) separately. This way I'll have more of a variety of different poses. I'm hoping I will still be able to negotiate getting the cd as well, if not, my FI's brother can just scan them. The pictures are totally scannable, don't let Carnival tell you differently. This is just a ploy. I know this because on the last cruise we took, we became friends with one of the photographers, and he told me when I asked him. Make sure you get the Carnival Photo consent letter, stating you can reproduce the pics. I found it on this board somewhere. That way you can make your own copies.

I want to be completely prepared, and I want to make sure I get the shots that I really want. I'm hoping all my research will help other brides as well, since we all deserve to have beautiful pictures on our wedding day!!

Hollie

Horsing Around,

To tell you the truth, after doing some research on these boards, let me give you some things to think about.

First of all, look at some other cruise wedding pictures to give you an idea of what you don't and don't want, and print them out and take them with you. I've made a list of must-get shots, such as getting ready, picture of FI when he first sees me walk down the aisle, etc. This way the photographer will know some of the shots you really want, and nothing will be left out. I've heard many brides say the day flies by so fast, and then realize afterwards they regretted not getting a certain shot. Also, I'm making a list of shots I DO NOT want- such as posed with fake backdrops, no canvas, and no 8 x 10's. I have decided to skip the packages and purchase all the pictures (5 X 7's) separately. This way I'll have more of a variety of different poses. I'm hoping I will still be able to negotiate getting the cd as well, if not, my FI's brother can just scan them. The pictures are totally scannable, don't let Carnival tell you differently. This is just a ploy. I know this because on the last cruise we took, we became friends with one of the photographers, and he told me when I asked him. Make sure you get the Carnival Photo consent letter, stating you can reproduce the pics. I found it on this board somewhere. That way you can make your own copies.

I want to be completely prepared, and I want to make sure I get the shots that I really want. I'm hoping all my research will help other brides as well, since we all deserve to have beautiful pictures on our wedding day!!

Hollie

Hollie has some good ideas....

here is the photo release if you wanted to use her advice.

CarnivalPhotoRelease.pdf

maddam_5maria - thank you so much for the release. I have it printed in my 'must have' package to bring with me.

holstang - thanks for some great ideas. Your idea sounds great! I would still be a little worried that Carnival will make you buy the pictures in 8x10 size before getting them as 5x7 because of the statement 'all pictures must be purchased in their original size'. But it is worth a try.

I'm definately going to make a list of the 'must have' shots and I'm the same - I don't want/need any or a lot of the 'posed' shots in front of fake backdrops - but I wouldn't mind some out on deck or something.

Horsing,

From the info that was sent to me from Carnival, it says you can purchase pictures separately in two different sizes (8x10 & 5x7) if you decide not to purchase the package. I will definitely stress to the photog that I am not interested in any 8x10's when we first meet, so there will be no confusion (hopefully!) One can never be too prepared. I figure if I'm making a CD and notes for the DJ, I should be just as prepared with the photographer. Here's my list of must have shots:

Getting Ready

Dress hanging on Hanger

Bride w/ Mom

Bride w/ Mom & Sister

Bride w/ Bridesmaids

Bride w/ Dad

Bride w/ Mom & Dad

Groom w/ Mom & Dad

Groom w/ Brides Mom & Dad

Group Shot Parents W/ Bride & Groom

Groom w/ Groomsmen

Arrival of Guests

Candid Shots

View of Back of Dress with Train

Wedding Ceremony

Maid of Honor walking down the aisle

Bridesmaids walking down the aisle

Flower girl and groom’s men

Mother of the Bride

Picture of parents during ceremony (both sets)

Bride and Groom

Ring exchange

Kiss of Bride and Groom

Remembrance Vase w/ Roses during ceremony

Wedding Ceremony

Officiate and couple during ceremony

Signing wedding document

Group photo

Group shot in Atrium with all guests

Picture of cake cutting

Toast

First dance

Reception Setting with family members

Family members shots with couple

On deck

Walking away hand in hand (on deck)

Ship

Stairs photo

Piano picture ?

Thanks for the list - and thank you for the information about the picutures - I didn't know that I would have a choice between 8x10 and 5x7 - I plan on having my list of shots and sizes. I want a couple 8x10's, but then mostly 5x7's.

I knew this was the place to come for good advice!

I wouldnt totally rule out the back drop pics, I think those turned out great. As far as being a deck, those would make great shots but there will be so many people around it might be hard to keep them from walking the pics. Before the ceremony our photographer was trying to take pics of me in fron the the stairs but only got one or two because so many people kept walking by and did not even pay attention or even care that they were walking in my photos!! Not to mention they all stared at me like i had three heads or something.

Don't forget the fun shots. We got one of the bridesmaids, groomsmen, and groom holding me up ( as if I were laying on my side ). Also we got one of the groomsmen and grooms dad holding up the groom.

I was a little worried about photos myself, but they turned out fantastic and the list of shots i wanted that i never made, our photographer got all those anyways without me saying anything at all.

This is my Carnival wedding pictures experience, YMMV:

After our ceremony our photographer asked us to stay in the room we were in for family shots which we did because we wanted them. After our reception we were brought to an area where Carnival's wedding photographers had set up a studio for posed shots. There were a couple different backgrounds we posed in front of. Our photographer wanted to take more shots than we did, we politely told him that was enough studio shots for us and we wanted shots on deck. He, of course, complied and we went on deck.

We scheduled a time to meet with our photographer a couple of days into the cruise. At that meeting he demoed a slideshow he prepared from his laptop. He also had prints of pictures he had taken in either 5X7 or 8X10. I don't know how he decided what to print in what size. He did tell us that Carnival photographers are required to follow Carnival's pricing guidelines so there was no negotiating. He also told us that if there was a pictures in one size but we wanted it in the other size that was no problem. We selected the $1K package and did select prints he printed in 5X7 for 8X10 size. Others were reprinted with minor retouching we asked for (red eye, background cleanup.)

I'm sure you can give your photographer a list of what you want and don't want but I didn't meet our photographer until a few minutes before our ceremony began. You could probably give your list to your coordinator to give to your photographer or you could ask a family member to go over it with the photographer. I think you will struggle going over it with your photographer yourself, though.

Good luck.

Holstang, that's a great compiled list of pics. My date is a ways out yet so I've been tearing out any pages from bridal magazines that show poses or styles of photos that I like. I am planning to compile a list for the photographer also but I want some samples of the styles of pics I like so the photographer gets an idea of my expectations.

Archived