Booked G gty. Assigned cabin. Now 8 cat upgrade sale. Strategies.

chemist661

I booked an Alaska cruise (Aug 30) with one of the online agencies last year just before the fuel surcharge went into effect. Booked G GTY. Got assigned a cabin #8062 and now NCL has a sale (up to 8 cat upgrade). Final payment by online agency is 6/6 and my NCL ressie says June 16. (I am going with the online agency final payment date just to be safe). I checked and Cat E (and others) are available at same price as G. With the fuel surcharge and new fee $6 by agency, it would be approx $100 total difference. (fuel surcharge minus small decrease in price).

My question is this? I am surprised they gave a cabin so soon. I thought they gave cabins out a couple of weeks out. I booked G because the next cabin was over $200pp extra.

What do you suggest for strategy? I would love some input before I make calls.

Thanks. :)

I booked an Alaska cruise (Aug 30) with one of the online agencies last year just before the fuel surcharge went into effect. Booked G GTY. Got assigned a cabin #8062 and now NCL has a sale (up to 8 cat upgrade). Final payment by online agency is 6/6 and my NCL ressie says June 16. (I am going with the online agency final payment date just to be safe). I checked and Cat E (and others) are available at same price as G. With the fuel surcharge and new fee $6 by agency, it would be approx $100 total difference. (fuel surcharge minus small decrease in price).

My question is this? I am surprised they gave a cabin so soon. I thought they gave cabins out a couple of weeks out. I booked G because the next cabin was over $200pp extra.

Wrong cabin #. 8064.

I'm assuming you're booking is on the Pearl, since the Star doesn't have a cabin 8064 and cabin 8064 on the Sun is a BD Balcony.

As for your guaranty cabin assignment, you're currently midship on deck 8, which IMO is a great location. Your close to the promenade deck which is a great area to watch Alaska sale by.

There are no oceanview cabins above deck 8, so I'm really not sure what you hope to gain by changing bookings. Also, the "up to 8 category upgrade" sales are within a cabin class, i.e. inside to inside, oceanview to oceanview, etc.

It is also likely that NCL will NOT allow you to cancel your existing booking and then rebook under the new promotion, as most of their sales are generally for new bookings only.

Personally, I'd stay right where you are and save the additional expense.

Wrong cabin #. 8064.

#8062 is correct. Looked over my paperwork at home. Sorry for mistake. It is Star. From NCL, it looks like there is a small lifeboat since G is obstructed. Wife wants a window and next cat up was over $200pp more at booking time.

Thank you "preds" for your helpful reply and opinion.

Archived