Tunis Excursion Info wanted

Aubiecruiser

We will be visiting Tunisia on the Brilliance of the Seas in October.

For this port I feel that a ship sponsored excursion may be safer but am open to recommendations. My DW and I are traveling with another couple so there would be at least four of us in our group.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Aubie

We will be on the Brilliance in Oct also. We plan on doing the all day tour that RCCL has visiting Carthage, Medina, Bardo Museum and Sidi Bou Said. For an all day tour I thought that the price was reasonable and this way we get to see all of the things we wanted to see without having to deal with taxis and a foreign language.

Julie

We plan on taking that same tour for $89 per person.

I did contact a private company and their cost for the same tour was 470 Euros for 4-6 people. I thought this was extremely high for Tunisia.

The only reason why we considered using a private company in Tunis is because we'd be able to make a quick stop at the American Cemetery, which is not included on RCI's tour.

Thanks to both of you. I think we'll do one of the half-day tours through the ship. It would be a shame to not see Medina and Carthage since I doubt we'll be back to Tunisia in this lifetime anyway. The $36 / person is very reasonable.

Aubie

Thanks to both of you. I think we'll do one of the half-day tours through the ship. It would be a shame to not see Medina and Carthage since I doubt we'll be back to Tunisia in this lifetime anyway. The $36 / person is very reasonable.

Aubie

Here are some links that might make you want to do the full-day tour so you can see the Bardo Museum and Sidi Bou Said (in addition to Carthage and Medina). As you said, this may be the only time you get to Tunisia.

Bardo Museum video:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbox8l969HQ

Sidi Bou Said video:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5biFtTaqA&feature=related

Tunis and Carthage photos – click on links at top of the page: http://www.galenfrysinger.com/carthage_tunisia.htm

Shopping: http://www.tourismtunisia.com/shopping/shopping2.html

Tunis info: http://www.tunisia.com/content/travel/tunisia-travel-guides/northern-tunisia/tunis

Carthage video:

Engineering an Empire – 3 videos

Part 1.

Part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPghZ8fEHIo&feature=related

Part 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMQ6LPXh4mo&feature=related

We aren't going until January (on the Brilliance) so I was glad that you guys posted this. The price is very reasonable and I hope they don't raise it.

I really want to see the Bardo Musuem - so I'll do the full-day. We have no info posted yet as it's too early.

Could you possibly cut and past the info about Tunis?

Thanks!:)

We aren't going until January (on the Brilliance) so I was glad that you guys posted this. The price is very reasonable and I hope they don't raise it.

I really want to see the Bardo Musuem - so I'll do the full-day. We have no info posted yet as it's too early.

Could you possibly cut and past the info about Tunis?

Thanks!:)

Here is the RCI excursion for full day in Tunis:

Carthage, Medina, Bardo Museum & Sidi Bou Said $89

From La Goulette, the coach will take you to the Bardo Museum, housed in the former Bardo Palace, the official residence of the Husseinite byes. Inside, the collection is broken down into sections that cover the Carthaginian, Roman, early Christian and Arab-Islamic eras. The Roman collection contains one of the finest collections of Roman mosaics and statuary anywhere. The Bardo Museum is famous for its wide collection on mosaics and major finds from Carthage, early Christian and Muslim relics. You will then proceed by coach to Tunis to enjoy a brief city tour before arriving at the Medina, the ancient city. You will savor the sounds, the sights and scents of the markets. From Medina, you will drive to a restaurant where a buffet lunch will be served. After lunch, continue with the Ruins of Carthage, including the Punic Ports and the Baths of Antonius Pius. Your final stop is the picturesque village of Sidi Bou Said, with blue and white sugar-cube houses scattered across the hillside above the sea. Ample time will be given to admire the typical architecture and local handicrafts, or to relax in one of the local teahouses.

Hey, just what we needed. Thanks a bunch.

There will be 6-12 of us, so it would be great to find a private tour for us, but haven't found any links for private guides.

Love your links - great pics and lots of info.

Hey, just what we needed. Thanks a bunch.

There will be 6-12 of us, so it would be great to find a private tour for us, but haven't found any links for private guides.

Love your links - great pics and lots of info.

I tried to post this for you a few minutes ago but it timed-out, so there may end of being 2 posts here with the same answer.

The tour guide I contacted was Chris: csheridan@onvol.net His name and recommendation came from someone here on Cruise Critic. I have not had any personal dealings with him other than one very polite email. He proposed a 470 Euro charge for the day (for 4-6 people) and he wanted 150 Euro deposit.

We visited Tunesia last Nov. You can certainly see all the sights ( the Souk, Bardo Museum, Sidi Bou Said, Carthage) and the American Cemetary. Wonderful gentleman named George ( 26 year Air Force veteran) is the administrator. Say Hello from Laurie & Dave!:D

We visited Tunesia last Nov. You can certainly see all the sights ( the Souk, Bardo Museum, Sidi Bou Said, Carthage) and the American Cemetary. Wonderful gentleman named George ( 26 year Air Force veteran) is the administrator. Say Hello from Laurie & Dave!:D

Who did you use as a tour guide? We really want to go to the American Cemetery but none of the RCI tours go there -- what a shame.

We used Chris Sheridan in Malta and Tunis. Joan was our guide in Malta and she was wonderful. We shared both tours with another couple. Chris had us pay him in Malta for both tours ( trust issues I think with Tunisian guides). We had a bit of trouble once we got off the ship in Tunis. No guide! We asked several other guides if they knew the one we were looking for ( info provided by Chris) and no one could help. After about a half hour, I called Chris in Malta. It was finally determined that the guards at the gate, across a long parking lot, had not let our guide and driver in. There was no way to see past the gate, so very glad we had our cell phone! We ended up with a delightful gentleman, who spoke excellent English and took us everywhere we wanted. We started in Tunis, exchanged money at a bank, then went into the Souk. Our friends bought a folk art painting after some hard bargaining, and then on to the Bardo. Best part of our entire visit, truly remarkable. Next was Sidi Bou Said, I thought it was a little touristy, but other people liked it. We had a cold drink and some snacks, but our friends didn't want lunch, so on to the American Cemetery and finally Carthage. We didn't spend a long time at Carthage...pretty tame stuff after seeing the Pyramids, Athens, Ephesus, etc. We made it back to the ship in time for our friends to enjoy tea at 4:00 p.m.

We used Chris Sheridan in Malta and Tunis. Joan was our guide in Malta and she was wonderful. We shared both tours with another couple. Chris had us pay him in Malta for both tours ( trust issues I think with Tunisian guides). quote]

:)

Do you have contact information for this tour company?

Archived