Info on hiring cab tours Eastern Med.

My wife broke a bone in her foot last week. The doctor put her in a boot, on crutches, the use of a "rollerbuddy", and gave her the OK to take our vacation to Venice and a cruise of the Eastern Med. on the Splendour of the Seas. Needless to say, our plans of doing a lot of walking have be changed. We have been to Venice and know how to adjust our plans but we need information on taxis in the ports.

The ship does not offer appropriate excursions in most of the ports. We would like to hire taxi cabs for an hour or two drive around the ports or countryside. Has anyone done this either by getting off the ship and hiring a cab or pre-booking through the internet. We would like information for the following places: Athens, Mykonos, Katakolon, Corfu, and Split.

Athens is no problem. The port is full of taxis all anxious to negotiate a deal.

Mykonos is very small and the steets of the main town do not lend themselves to vehicles. However, taxis should be available to take people to outlying places fairly easily. For Katakolon, see the live posts on this area in relation to taking taxis to Olympia which are readily available from the port area for about 75 euros.

I would think that you'd have no problem in finding a taxi in Corfu - perhaps if you google SHORE EXCURSIONS CORFU there may be offers of personalised taxi tours and transfers. Do hope your wife feels better soon despite her cast.

• 3 weeks later...
My wife broke a bone in her foot last week. The doctor put her in a boot, on crutches, the use of a "rollerbuddy", and gave her the OK to take our vacation to Venice and a cruise of the Eastern Med. on the Splendour of the Seas. Needless to say, our plans of doing a lot of walking have be changed. We have been to Venice and know how to adjust our plans but we need information on taxis in the ports.

The ship does not offer appropriate excursions in most of the ports. We would like to hire taxi cabs for an hour or two drive around the ports or countryside. Has anyone done this either by getting off the ship and hiring a cab or pre-booking through the internet. We would like information for the following places: Athens, Mykonos, Katakolon, Corfu, and Split.

Best wishes to your wife and hope she feels better soon. I happened to notice that you are from Virginia Beach. My wife and I met at Virginia Beach in August 1999. We were married a year later. The hotel we met at was the famous Cavalier.

Archived