Barbados, Antigua and Dominica

patches12

I have planned all excursions but Barbados and Antigua. Can anyone give me some advice on which beaches are best for snorkeling? I also need a tour for Champagne Reef in Dominica.

Barbados- Payne's Beach--Blue Monkey Bar. I heard catamarans bring excursions there to swim with the turtles at around noon. I would like to take a bus or taxi there and just swim out. Does Payne's Beach have life jackets to rent? I have everything else. Folkestone Beach--Take a local bus or taxi there. Roped off area for snorkeling or swimming...not sure. Both are fairly close and north of the pier. Would it be possible to hit both and still make it back to the ship around 2:00? I am very nervous about going so far from the ship without my own transportation. I will have to rely on taxis to be there.

Antigua- Long Beach Bay-- Taxi (haven't heard about buses) here. Seems a long way! Is it worth it? Do they have life jacket rentals there? Runaway Bay -- much closer to pier. Good for snorkeling?

Above all, I need to make sure we are safe....we can all swim, but don't swim much. So I am worrying about picking a beach with a strong current or getting too far out. If I know there is a strong current, we can stay away from it. I hate to be surprised!

Dominica- Can anyone recommend a tour to the Champagne Reef? My ship's excursion won't get back until 4:30 and we leave at 5:00. That is the first formal night and we have early dinner! I can't do the ship excursion and still get ready in time. I hate being late and making people wait for us.

Please help....only 2 more days until we leave for San Juan. We are beginner snorkelers so we don't expect to see all the wonderful things that divers see, but we also don't want to snorkel on a swimming beach!:D Thanks a bunch!

currents

Just take a taxi from the pier to Champagne Reef. Irie Safari is right at the trailhead to the reef. They are excellent diving and snorkeling guides. If you have your own equipment the snorkel guide is $5 at it may well be the best $5 you spend on your entire cruise. See my post below titled Newbie diver back from Coki and Dominica, it wil give you all the info you need. Clem and the group at Irie Safari will take very good care of you, give them a call, he can arrange for a taxi to pick you up at the pier or you can just get one at the pier. Have a great cruiseHere's the contact info:

Clem Johnson

Irie Safari

Anse Batteau, Pte Michel

Box 2078, Roseau

Dominica, West Indies

(767) 440 5085

(767) 275 7001

iriesafari@cwdom.dm

Don't know it you will get this in time but I used Dive Dominica and they were great. I was the only snorkeler with 4 other divers going for certification. I did not need any help and I went off on my own but there was always someone on board who was making sure I was within shouting range.

Champagne Reef is crazy! (Beautiful)

Don't know it you will get this in time but I used Dive Dominica and they were great. I was the only snorkeler with 4 other divers going for certification. I did not need any help and I went off on my own but there was always someone on board who was making sure I was within shouting range.

Champagne Reef is crazy! (Beautiful)

I would second Dive Dominica. I had a wonderful time with them. They are local and really know the area.

Darrell

Archived