Quest for Adventure

The Spirit of Adventure web site has finally been updated with information on QUEST FOR ADVENTURE.

The deck plans reveal that the ship will be undergoing a very major refit. As has been done on many other ships (e.g. DISCOVERY, SUPERSTAR ARIES), the officer's cabins on Bridge Deck are being converted to high-end passenger cabins (despite having lifeboat-obstructed views). Interestingly, these will have french balconies. French balconies are also being added to the suites that look out onto the boat deck, which is, I think is a new innovation. Most of the suites on boat deck are being expanded, eliminating the anachronistic inside suites, and having balconies added. The public room layout will remain mostly the same but they will be redecorated in a style similar to SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE.

There are a few errors on the web site though - in several places the ship is referred to as QUEST OF ADVENTURE, and there is a typo on the deck plan... Who can find it? ;)

Anyway, I think she looks very nice... I would very much like to try her, or SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE for that matter, or both! Everyone I know who has been has really enjoyed the product, and the itineraries are really excellent.

• 3 months later...

There are apparently rumours that Astoria will actually be renamed Saga Pearl 2 to replace Saga Rose in October or November 2009, and that the Spirit of Adventure wiil be the only adventure cruising ship that Saga runs. Quest has now nearly gone from the SoA website. It makes a lot of sense given the worldwide economic crisis not to increase capacity and costs too much. I always thought Saga were a well managed organisation.

The rumours are quite true. Friends of ours booked Quest for Adventure for next Autumn and have had a phone call cancelling this and were told this is because Quest will become Saga Rose's replacement.

I wonder if there are a couple of reasons for this. I agree that it may not be a good time to bring a second ship in, but I also wonder if it is because Saga had failed to find a suitable replacement for Saga Rose.

Archived