lights

Caribbean-Ria

This is probably a real dumn question but here it goes, for those of you who have taken this trip before, I see that the ship passes really close to the tip of Cuba, I was wondering if you could see the lights from there if we pass by night?

I said it was a dumn one but please humer me.:rolleyes:

This is probably a real dumn question but here it goes, for those of you who have taken this trip before, I see that the ship passes really close to the tip of Cuba, I was wondering if you could see the lights from there if we pass by night?

No Question is a Dumb One, well some may be:p But to answer your question, yes way off in the Distance Ive seen the Lights, A good pair of Binoculars would be wise to have and know when the ship will be passing the tip of Cuba!!;) Im going to carry my Binoculars next trip, but Cuba Has Brownouts I beleive at times so it depends!!;)

No Question is a Dumb One, well some may be:p But to answer your question, yes way off in the Distance Ive seen the Lights, A good pair of Binoculars would be wise to have and know when the ship will be passing the tip of Cuba!!;) Im going to carry my Binoculars next trip, but Cuba Has Brownouts I beleive at times so it depends!!;)

Thank you so much for answering my question, you have no idea how much it means to me, I was born there many many moons ago and was raised in this great Country since the age of 9 so I hope you understand what it means to me to see that Island again even though it will be just the lights, I will bring my Binoculars.

thank you

Hi Ria,

That is one of the least "dumb" questions I have read in a while. I can remember flying into Trinidad at night years ago, and seeing lights from Venezuala. What an awesome feeling to see the tip of another continent, thousands of miles of land, stretching away from my viewpoint. OK, so Cuba is not a continent, but it is a big country, and one off limits to many readers of this forum. Here is hoping that you enjoy your brief and remote encounter with Cuba!

We've seen Cuba several times, but like Lonestar suggested, make sure and have your binoculars with you. :)

You could probably find out what time the ship is expected to pass close enough to Cuba so you can see the island. I'd ask at the front desk. On HAL, there's a map that tells you exactly where you're at at any given time.

On HAL, there's a map that tells you exactly where you're at at any given time.

There is on Carnival, too. Channel 14 on the Legend. It was my most-watched channel on my cruise! I didn't see Cuba. :( I did see Chetumal, Mexico at night while cruising past it... and the next morning I LOVED Channel 14 because it showed the path into Belize... very squiggly..... then the exact same path out. If your cruise stops in Belize, check out whatever channel shows your path, it's a trip!

**hoping to see Cuba too someday, from the ship, from the air, or even on the island if that's ever possible**

P.S. It may depend on which ship you're on, where you sail from. Inspiration is out of Tampa too, right? I was watching Channel 14 to see if I could see Cuba from the Legend when en route to Cayman from Tampa, but no luck for me. Maybe if I had binoculars, maybe not. Maybe chances are greater if you're sailing out from the East Coast of Florida, the sailing course goes closer to Cuba perhaps?

drew sailbum is precisely right:

I recently spent 8 days on Grand Cayman Island and returning to Atlanta (where we changed planes) we flew over the entire length of Cuba, and low enough to see buildings, flag poles, etc. Very interesting site. I didn't have a window seat going to GC, but would think the view would be the same.

There is on Carnival, too. Channel 14 on the Legend. It was my most-watched channel on my cruise! I didn't see Cuba. :( I did see Chetumal, Mexico at night while cruising past it... and the next morning I LOVED Channel 14 because it showed the path into Belize... very squiggly..... then the exact same path out. If your cruise stops in Belize, check out whatever channel shows your path, it's a trip!

**hoping to see Cuba too someday, from the ship, from the air, or even on the island if that's ever possible**

We've been on Carnival, but I'd forgotten that! I can't even remember if we watched the channel or not...it was our first cruise, and we were just on overload with all the things that there was to do on the ship! I think it's amazing how they navigate the ship in and out of these islands. You'd think it's a big ocean and they'd have a pretty wide area to use, but it isn't so. :)

When we fly to GC, we go right over Cuba.

Archived