Messina Excursions - Mt. Etna

I noticed that HAL has 2 excursions to Mt. Etna. Does anyone know the difference between the 2? And which is better for seeing more of Mt. Etna? (see descriptions below). I am leaning more towards the Scenic Mt. Etna tour because it is longer.

TIA for any suggestions

Panoramic Slopes of Mt. Etna

Leaving the port of Messina you will head towards the lovely village of Zafferana, driving south on the motorway through a fertile paradise of green vineyards and golden citrus groves. Passing through Santa Venerina village, the scenery becomes increasingly forbidding as you approach the Park of My. Etna. At 1,800 feet above sea level, this small village boasts enchanting, wild scenery. At a local hotel, a refreshment will be served as you enjoy panoramic views of the Sicilian coast that was overwhelmed by an eruption 300 years ago. The volcano has erupted more than 130 times, killing more than a million people. The volcano dominates the entire coast of Sicily, and its mass outrivals all of Italy's other mountains.

Scenic Mt. Etna

Majestic Mount Etna at 11,000 feet is Europe's largest active volcano. Leaving Messina, you will pass through many villages, all closely connected to the volcano's history. As you drive up the mountain's scenic lower slopes and switchback road, the views include forest, orchards and vineyards. Mt Etna's flanks are covered in cones and craters and the remnants of streams of lava. At 6,200 feet, you will visit the Silvestri Craters and see the 1983 and 2001 lava flows. Continue down the mountain through lemon groves and chestnut and pine forests, which blend with the hardened lava and endless volcanic cones.

In Oct./03 we stopped there but took a train on our own to Taromino, toured the Greek theatre there and stopped for lunch at a wonderful Italian restaurant overlooking the Med. (can't remember the name). You can view Mount Etna from afar on the train.

I have visited Mount Etna but not recently! I would think that the first tour is a panoramic tour of the countryside and villages on the lower slopes, and the second goes much higher up - not to the summit because thats about 9000 feet - so you should be able to put your feet onto actual lava.

IMO I'd go for the second one, but please be aware that as Etna is neither dormant nor extinct, there might be volcanic activity during your intended visit and the second tour (or even both of them) might not be available!!

Sominex,

You said you took the train to Taromina. We would like to do the same and I have a couple of questions.

How far is it to the train station?

And how did you get it to the station?

How often does the train go there?

How long did it take to get there?

We arrive in port at 7:30 a.m. and have to be back to the ship by 3:00 p.m. Any suggestions as where to eat?

Your answers will be greately appreciated.

Judee

Sominex,

You said you took the train to Taromina. We would like to do the same and I have a couple of questions.

How far is it to the train station?

And how did you get it to the station?

How often does the train go there?

How long did it take to get there?

We arrive in port at 7:30 a.m. and have to be back to the ship by 3:00 p.m. Any suggestions as where to eat?

Your answers will be greately appreciated.

Judee

Sominex,

We would also like info on taking the train to Taromino. Our ship arrives at 12:00 pm and leaves at 6:00 pm. I have the same questions as Judee but add to her questions the following:

How long does the train take to get there?

Is the train station in Taromino convenient to see the town?

How was the train itself?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nancy

Sominex,

We would also like info on taking the train to Taromino. Our ship arrives at 12:00 pm and leaves at 6:00 pm. I have the same questions as Judee but add to her questions the following:

How long does the train take to get there?

Is the train station in Taromino convenient to see the town?

How was the train itself?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nancy

I tried posting this but didn't take so you may get two replies.

We walked to the station from the ship; the train took about an hour (that was 2003) so not sure. It was a relaxing ride. When arriving in Taromino, line up for the bus (it gets crowded and you want to be first on so you won't wait for next bus)...you could walk but it's long and very uphill. Follow the people to the only Greek Theatre outside of Greece it's great to see (Andrea Bocelli had a concert there last year), overlooking the Mediterranean. Can't remember the restaurant but it was on the way back down across the road from the cliff overlooking the Med. The food was great but I'm sure most of them are fine. Back in Messina we walked into the square but that was all there was to see. Don't know why the ships stop there other than to see Taromino; which is worth it!

Som

Archived