Las Rocas

sailfool

Does anyone have any info on Las Rocas resort on Roatan? Their web page and prices look awfully tempting and from their email response to my questions they seem like awful nice folks. Any info would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have returned from our 10/23 sailing on the Norwegian Sun and I can give you an update on Las Rocas. We arrived at approximately 8 am ships time and were to be met at the docks by Pasquale from Las Rocas at 10:30 pm local time. We later found out that local time was 1 hour behind ships time. The reason that we had to wait was that he was also picking up a group of divers from the Norwegian Sea that docked later in the morning. So, our actual pick up time was scheduled to be 11:30 ships time. We met Pasquale on the dock at about 11:15 local time. The only problem was that the group from the Sea did not seem to be in any hurry to disembark and did not show up until about 12:15 ships time. As our ship was scheduled to depart at 5:30 ships time, this led to a short day at the resort.

Traffic was a bit of a mess getting out of Coxen Hole and it was a very hot day. The van, although air conditioned, was quite hot, but once we got moving and into the shady mountain areas we opened windows and it was comfortable. The resort is about a 20-30 minute ride to the other side of the island.

The resort is a small, quiet, peaceful place. Not at all for you if you are looking for a crowded beach or loud music. There is no actual beach at the resort proper. It is built on the edge of a limestone ledge from which you can snorkel or swim in the ocean. However, there is a small man made beach with a couple of chairs and loungers and a small pretty pool that recirculates water from the ocean. Also, other beaches are within a short walking distance.

The resort appears to be new and has a very nice bar / restaurant with excellent food and drinks at outstanding prices.

There is a complete dive shop on premises with equipment that appears to be in very good shape. We signed up for snorkeling and were taken out on a boat with a group of 4 divers. We went to a reef (by boat) that was great for snorkeling, lots of fish, coral and good visibility (about a 1 hour trip)

The people at the resort were very nice and accomodating. I would highly recommend the place if you are looking for something quiet, peaceful and relaxing. Again, there is not a lot of beach area at the resort proper, but very pretty view and nice facilities and the shrimp burritos are wonderful. Our trip was $40 each for transportation and snorkeling trip + a tip to the dive master. Several drinks and a plate of food each for less that $50 total for 4 people (happy hour).

The only thing I would do different is that we would have made arrangements to get there earlier. We only had approx. 3 1/2 - 4 hours to enjoy the place.

Let me know if you have additional questions and enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Sailfool/Michael,

Thank you for your very helpful review. My 12 year old daughter and I prefer a quiet peaceful environment. By looking at that website it appears this may be more suited for adults. What are you thoughts?

Bzygirl66/Chanda

Hi Chanda,

It's a tough call. Depends on what you and her like to do I guess and how long you plan on staying. The snorkeling was great, if you like that (we did the boat ride out to reef) but at the same time most of the attention was focused on the dive group and not a lot of personal attention paid to the snorkelers.

We didn't see any other young tourists there, mostly adults, although that doesnt necessarily mean that your daughter wouldn't have a good time. At the same time there were no rowdy adults either. We were about as close to that as there was there that day and we were tame.

Seemed like a very tranquil place. What beach area they have is very small. The same with the pool. A good place to read a book. I would say that if you are not going there to dive or snorkel or enjoy the outdoor bar or going with a small group of friends it might be a little boring. Then again, some people, me included, enjoy getting away from the craziness for a while.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you would like any more detailed answers. It is hard to know whether you would enjoy or not. However, you can walk in both directions on the beach from the resort.

When are you going?

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for responding. We take our annual cruise in November. I have a whole year to plan. Roatan will be a new port for us. We both love to snorkel and plan on doing so while in Roatan. Las Rocas sounds perfect! I've checked out Salt and Pepper's website but we want something more relaxing. Do you have any other suggestions?

Chanda

Archived