Does anyone else feel this way ??

fsugurl

I have lost 15 pounds within the last 6 weeks. I am tall (5'7) and I am down to 125 pounds. I have not been down to 125 since I was in college so this was a major exciting thing for me. Well we are due to go on our 1st cruise for our 10 year anniversary this Thursday. I am really nervous about gaining some of the weight that I have worked so hard to lose ! I know this sounds so vein, but I have literally worked my rear end off for this weightloss ! ;)

Is anyone else a little apprehensive about gaining weight on the cruise ?? I don't want to spend my entire vacation in the gym ! BLAH ! :(

I have lost 15 pounds within the last 6 weeks. I am tall (5'7) and I am down to 125 pounds. I have not been down to 125 since I was in college so this was a major exciting thing for me. Well we are due to go on our 1st cruise for our 10 year anniversary this Thursday. I am really nervous about gaining some of the weight that I have worked so hard to lose ! I know this sounds so vein, but I have literally worked my rear end off for this weightloss ! ;)

Is anyone else a little apprehensive about gaining weight on the cruise ?? I don't want to spend my entire vacation in the gym ! BLAH ! :(

Wow...you are very thin for your height! I always thought those insurance height/weight charts were too tough and they would say 100 lbs. for the first 5 feet, then add on 5 lbs. for every inch over that. That would put me at 110 lbs. as a goal weight, but I don't want to be down that low. Anyway, you are model thin and must be really happy about that. But if you are there, you are 10 lbs. underweight according to those standards. If you DID gain a little, you would still be fine.

I wanted to tell you that on our first cruise, I didn't want to be heavier from overeating. Someone had told me that if we used the stairs as often as possible, we'd burn a lot of calories. These were friends of ours and they really enjoyed the cruise meals and ate a lot but didn't gain weight during the cruise. Our cabin was on deck 7 so we had decent little climbs to the pool deck and the dining levels. We only used the elevators on formal nights as I didn't want to arrive at the main dining room all sweaty in a long formal and heels. Also, we ate a LOT but limited our eating to a large breakfast, and the evening dinner, snacking midday at ports. I ordered a room service "snack" once or twice and it was huge, then there was that midnight dessert and appetizer buffet! The excursions kept us busy burning calories. My husband gained 2 lbs. during the cruise and I gained 1 lb., I think. I know it was just small gains. He worked out daily and I slept late with zero exercise other than what we did on excursions--just walking a lot, mostly. Our big problems were during the months that followed the cruise because we went back to some old eating habits. For me to eat that much food and only gain a pound was downright miraculous.

Yes, of course I am worried about gaining the weight I have lost back. I just lost 25 pounds. I am at 119 at the moment. I am only 5' 3" though. So I can imagine how thin you are!! I just got back from a vacation to Wildwood and had gained 4-5 pounds. Anyhow, after less than a week being home and going back to my normal routine I lost all but 1 pound. However, even though it was an easy loss, I am freaking out about the cruise I am going on. I mean if in 5 days down the shore I gained 5 pounds, then what will happen in 8 nights on a cruise when there is soooooooooooooooooooo much food? I am going to follow everyone's advice about the stairs. For me, I am going to eat a healthy breakfast and lunch. I will stick with fruit in the morning and salad at lunch. Dinner will be where the hard part comes in. My biggest hurdle will be that everytime you order one of those frozen drinks you are having a ton of calories!!! But, in the end, I think we all have to remember that it is a vacation and if we lost so much weight to make ourselves bikini ready, that even if we do gain a few, we can get it back with the hard work and determination that we obviously have. So hopefully you will enjoy your cruise and not worry too much. I'm going to try also. Good luck!

Taking the stairs, taking relatively active excursions (almost anything more active than laying on a beach, even if it just involves walking on a beach) and remembering that you don't have to eat EVERYTHING should serve you just fine. It is very possible on a cruise ship to make relatively healthy food choices and still be eating extremely well and feeling quite indulged.

You have leeway, the size you are, plus, if you gain a couple of pounds, you know for certain that you can get back on track and lose them again, since you've already done it successfully.

I generally do not put on more than a pound or two on a cruise and even that comes off quickly once back home.....

What I do.... First off I dont let it drive me crazy so it will not ruin my vacation... On vacation I like breakfast so I go to the buffet and choose whatever I want but just in small sizes. For lunch I stay away from breads and often will get a burger or something with no bread.... The protein does no damage. For dinner I generally go with whatever sparks my interest. Again I dont go for the before entree breads, if a dessert looks great I go for it but I wont do a dessert just for the sake of dessert, it has to really be something I would love to try.... Other wise I might order a cheese dish, or just pick a nice coffee and call it a night.... I dont do midnight buffets, I am already pretty full from dinner.

I certainly eat more than at home, but I pick what is interesting, pass on things that I dont really want... I dont let it drive me crazy and in the end once back home with my normal habits my weight settles back into what it was before vacation.....

I'm really determined not to gain any weight on our next cruise. I usually take the stairs, but that won't work off a cheese cake or corn beef hash! My plan is to be very mindful of what I am eating. I can skip the bread and butter... avoid mixed drinks and eat only a normal serving size at meals. I will drink lots of water while on the ship. Not so much in port so I don't have to keep looking for restrooms:p . I intend to go to the gym a few times, but my ultimate goal is to climb the rock wall this time. I'm 51 so it will probably be a site:eek: ! I think it's possible to enjoy the vacation without gaining alot of weight. I also plan to avoid the scale for a week after we get back. No need to depress myself!

I totally know how you are feeling. I cruised 3 weeks ago and was so afraid that I might gain 10 lbs! I'm happy to report though that at my first weigh in after the cruise I was only up 2.2 lbs. which I was thrilled about! We took the steps EVERYWHERE and NEVER took the elevators. We also walked 3 miles a day on the ship. Good luck.

I generally do not put on more than a pound or two on a cruise and even that comes off quickly once back home.....

What I do.... First off I dont let it drive me crazy so it will not ruin my vacation... On vacation I like breakfast so I go to the buffet and choose whatever I want but just in small sizes. For lunch I stay away from breads and often will get a burger or something with no bread.... The protein does no damage. For dinner I generally go with whatever sparks my interest. Again I dont go for the before entree breads, if a dessert looks great I go for it but I wont do a dessert just for the sake of dessert, it has to really be something I would love to try.... Other wise I might order a cheese dish, or just pick a nice coffee and call it a night.... I dont do midnight buffets, I am already pretty full from dinner.

I certainly eat more than at home, but I pick what is interesting, pass on things that I dont really want... I dont let it drive me crazy and in the end once back home with my normal habits my weight settles back into what it was before vacation.....

What a great, healthy attitude! I think the way you think is a great way to maintain a healthy body, without it consuming all your thoughts (something I can be guilty of). :)

I have not cruised as much as many of you have (only 3) but I do travel alot to other places.

My rule is to NOT eat anything I can get at home...you can get burgers everywhere, or fries, or such..then it leaves more room for treats and rich foods..but I take small spoons or bites of each and eat very slow to savor the food. I don't eat it "just because I paid for it and I can have all I want"

I read somewhere that the "foo foo" drinks are what kills people on vacation...pina coladas, etc..stuff that a lot of people probably wouldn't drink at home. If I do drink, I drink wine spritzers or diet coke and rum with lots of limes. Maybe one or two foo drinks. On one of the cruises it was when I was dating a crewguy (for over a year) and I got all my drinks for free so then I did go overboard..but then was sick for a week!

If it has heavy cream sauce, I maybe ask for less sauce or scrape it away. Salad dressing I don't care for, but if I eat it I dip my fork in the dressing then stab the lettuce, I don't pour it on. I stay away from the bread as I can get that most places, if I have some only one and I don't have butter with it.

Then there's the walking, exercise classes, etc. I liked the exercise challenges that they had on the ships I were on, wherey ou get the free tshirt if you go to so many classes, etc.

These are pretty much my eating habits anyway. I ask myself "do I need to have 3 rolls for some reason or can I live with one and enjoy it"

I have lost a couple pounds on every cruise I have been on. I don't over eat on a cruise and I walk and take a lot more stairs than I am used to. I am no where as thin as you though. I have lost 35 pounds since my last cruise and I hope to lose another 35 before our next one (hopefully next July). I am worried about getting it all off before the cruise but have no worries about while I am on it.

i totally wouldnt sweat it....its not real weight gain anyways.

Think about it...for you to really gain 10lbs of fat youd have to eat 35,000 calories over what you normally burn on your vacation. Itll prolly be a pound or maybe two of fat and mostly water wheny ou get back..enjoy yourself and dont stress it!

I have heard of some people gaining 10lbs on a cruise..I don't understand how that is possible..you would have to be almost nonstop eating, and IMO that is gluttony. But if you ar not used to eating a lot of fancy food, then I think a lot of the gain is bloat from salt and other preservatives and then that's pretty easy to lose.

i totally wouldnt sweat it....its not real weight gain anyways.

Think about it...for you to really gain 10lbs of fat youd have to eat 35,000 calories over what you normally burn on your vacation. Itll prolly be a pound or maybe two of fat and mostly water wheny ou get back..enjoy yourself and dont stress it!

Yeah, don't sweat gaining a bunch of weight on your cruise. You'd have to mow through every day and the midnight buffet and then lay on the deck chairs drinking boat pina coladas all day to put on much real fat. Water weight, maybe but that will drop off quickly.

When we took our cruise we did the buffet for breakfast and lunch if we were on the ship. I just had a reasonable meal. We ate our dinner in the diningroom and I tried to pick things that I couldn't get at home. We always had dessert or ice cream at night too. We always took the stairs, our excursions were active, and I'm not one to lay on the deck all day. I actually lost 5 pounds on that 5 day cruise and I never even saw the gym.:eek:

Tami

Archived