Quick Question for Mr. Barbados

Eric3872

Mr. Barbados,

I have been reading some of the great advice you have given to some of the other members, and have decided to go with one of your suggestions. My girlfriend and I will be in Barbados in a couple of weeks for one day from 9:00am until 5:30pm. We have decided to rent a car and see some of the sights along the West Coast you've recommended (crane, sam lord's, bottom bay, tent bay, Speightstown, etc...). My question is, do you think 8 1/2 hours is enough time to rent a car, see the sights along this route and be back at the pier before 5:30? We would like to make a few beach stops along the way, and stop for lunch at the Atlantis. Any thoughts?

I have been reading some of the great advice you have given to some of the other members, and have decided to go with one of your suggestions. My girlfriend and I will be in Barbados in a couple of weeks for one day from 9:00am until 5:30pm. We have decided to rent a car and see some of the sights along the West Coast you've recommended (crane, sam lord's, bottom bay, tent bay, Speightstown, etc...). My question is, do you think 8 1/2 hours is enough time to rent a car, see the sights along this route and be back at the pier before 5:30? We would like to make a few beach stops along the way, and stop for lunch at the Atlantis. Any thoughts?

---------------------------------------

Thanks for the kind words. I am not an expert on the island. The wonderful people that live there for twelve months of every year are, but I’ll tell you what I know and believe.

Your statement “ ….See some sights along the West Coast (sic): Crane, Sam’s, Bottom Bay, Tent Bay, Speightstown, etc….” Become the basis of my recommendation.

Crane, Sam’s, Bottom Bay, Tent bay and The Atlantis Hotel are on our South, SE and East coasts. Speightstown is on our West Coast, as is the cruise pier.

It could be a one hour drive from the pier to The Atlantis, and probably a longer return if you cut from East to West across the island.

Now, your 9-5:30 adventure is really a 10- 4 pm adventure, as you have to debark, shuttle to the car rental agency and head out. Returning is worse as you have to get there early to return the car and then shuttle back to the ship by 5:30 (Better plan on getting there by 5pm, yes?).

So, in reality, you’re looking at six (6) hours to play.

If you just restricted your visit to the half-loop from the pier to The Atlantis and hit the beaches there, with lunch at the Atlantis with a return back the way you came, or on HWY 4 or 2 back to the West Coast, you’d probably be OK. But you really won’t have a great amount of time at any spot, or on the beaches.

You speed will not exceed 30-40MPH anywhere on the island.

Just a thought…..You’ll pay perhaps US$100 for a rental car with gas and insurance. A private taxi ride would be about US$135-US$150 w/tip for a six-hour tour and you’d see a lot more (they don’t get lost!) LOL.

I hate to not give you a definitive ‘yes’ or ‘no’, but you want to cover much of the island in a short time and I don’t want you to be disappointed.

Let me give you some insight about Barbados: To see 80% of the island, and its attractions, will take 3-4 days. There’s lotsa stuff!

Narrow-down your real must-sees and we’ll adjust the plan and the schedule to fit, yes?

(I’m so pleased that you are willing to discover the island on your own, the paybacks will be great). :)

Thanks so much for your advice! We don't have a long list of must see places, but we would like to explore on our own and "discover" some of what the island has to offer with the limited time we have.

I think we'll be better off if we restrict our travels to a few of the stops along that route. The Atlantis is not a must for us, but we thought it would be a good place to stop for lunch.

What we are really interested in is traveling on our own and stopping a few times along the way to see some of the beautiful beaches and scenery. We definately want to see the Crane and I've heard some great things about Bottom Bay, Harrismith Beach & Sam Lord's.

If we don't make it as far as the Atlantis, are there some other nice places to stop for lunch along that route? Also, is it true that there is a cer rental agency at or near the pier?

Thanks so much.

Thanks so much for your advice! We don't have a long list of must see places, but we would like to explore on our own and "discover" some of what the island has to offer with the limited time we have.

I think we'll be better off if we restrict our travels to a few of the stops along that route. The Atlantis is not a must for us, but we thought it would be a good place to stop for lunch.

What we are really interested in is traveling on our own and stopping a few times along the way to see some of the beautiful beaches and scenery. We definitely want to see the Crane and I've heard some great things about Bottom Bay, Harrismith Beach & Sam Lord's.

If we don't make it as far as the Atlantis, are there some other nice places to stop for lunch along that route? Also, is it true that there is a cer rental agency at or near the pier?

-----------------------------------------

I’m getting a better understanding of what you wish to accomplish.

Here’s what I would do……

(Yes, Drive-a-matic has an office at the pier --- good folks!)

I’d divide my total time in half. The halfway point will be your turn-around Que. and I would head SE out of B-town and follow the coast as best you can.

You will pass through The St. Lawrence Gap, starting about 5 minutes out of B-town with some very nice restaurants, and about 15 minutes out you’ll hit Oistins. Some great little side-of-the-road spots with excellent food. The beaches around Oistins are calm and secluded, so perhaps try one.

Oistins fresh catch-of-the-day being prepared

oistins.JPG

One of many Oistins wonderful little beaches

oistins2.jpg

Your next spots are Foul bay, Cobblers Rock and then Crane. Check them out (you may not want to leave!). Sam’s is just above Crane about 10 minutes. It is closed but you can access the beach from the right of the gates.

Long Bay and Bottom Bay are only a few minutes above Sam’s, then, as you turn NW after Kitridge Point things get really beautiful.

You’ll approach Conger Bay, Tent Bay and Three Bays Rock. Here is the Atlantis if it works for you. There are other places to eat before and after.

You can continue up the East Coast Hwy to Lakes Beach and turn left heading west. This turns into HWY 2 for a mile or so and then turns into hwy 1 back to Speightstown. At Speightstown you’re 20 minutes from the ship. Many fine beaches from S-town to B-town and many good restaurants, too.

I would closely watch your ½ way point and start to head back. If you arrive early on the West Coast, hit the beaches.

If you make it to Bathsheba and choose to go to a different restaurant other than The Atlantis, try the Kingsley Club in Cattlewash (1/2 mile NE of Bathsheba). It had (haven’t been there in a couple of years) the best Barbadian food that we’ve ever had on the island (split pea and pumpkin soup, dolphin meuniere, planters fried chicken and a wonderful coconut meringue pie).

I think you’ll have a ball and I want a full report upon your return! ;)

Archived