Flights to culebra

memphislonghorn

Hello PR friends,

I am asking for advice on flying from San Juan (Isla Grande airport) to Culebra for a day visit. I am getting conflicting information on flights, schedules, and fares. Some of these websites you get when running a search are 3-4 years old, thus out of date information.

What airlines have regularly scheduled flights to Culebra and what approx. are the fares? I have read everything from $100 RT up to almost $300. If it is over $100 it is not really worth it. A second option would be to drive to Fajardo and catch a flight there.

I have considered taking the ferry, but to get there from San Juan makes the trip a long, all-day odyssey that wouldn't be worth it. I don't know why you can't buy a ticket to the ferry online and reserve a seat for a specific day and time; having to get there so early and wait in line makes it undesirable.

It seems that Culebra is a beautiful place that everyone raves about, but getting there is problematic at best. So any suggestions are appreciated.

I will be in SJ for 8 days, traveling solo, so I can go anytime. Thanks!

Beware: one or two of the ferries are out of line for maintenance, causing disruptions in service. If you need to be back to San Juan in the same day, do not take the ferry. The ferry is only worth it if you're willing to endure long delays and cancellations. I'm talking more than 24 hrs. The Maritime Transportation Authority is buying new ferries, but those will take a while to come on line.

The absolute best way to get to Culebra from San Juan is by air from Isla Grande Airport (right next to the Pan Am pier). The better puddle jumper operators are Air Flamenco and Vieques Air Link. It should be about a hundred dollars each way. It is well worth it to avoid the drive to the Fajardo ferry terminal and endure the lines and the delays at the ferry.

If you don't like small airplanes, well, what do you prefer? 3 hours of misery (sea) or half an hour of terror (air)?

Bear in mind that these "airlines" are on-demand air carriers, and the schedules are not etched in stone. But you can pretty much count on them.

Again, my number one choice would be Air Flamenco. Do not expect to be able to make an online reservation. Make the phone call and reconfirm the day prior and the day of the flight. I'll get you the phone number on my next post.

Archived