Any recent reviews on Nativeway Reef Rays and Rum Pointe???

JennLynn

Thinking about taking the Nativeways Reef, Rays and Rum Pointe excursion next month. Have seen only one negative review, but it was very recent. Most of the positive reviews seem to be a year or two old. Does anyone have any recent reviews to share....good or bad?

Thanks.

JennLynn

My husband and I took our kids, ages 7,9, and 12 at the time, along with both sets of grandparents and my sister on this excursion in the end of January. We had a great time. We have never snorkeled before so we had a hard time figuring it out since the water was so rough. No big deal. My 7yo did the best. (My mom and mother in law stayed on the boat). We would do much better now after some practice. Then went to the stingrays. My two younger kids were making me hold them at first, even though they could touch here. Stingrays swam right around you and they took stingrays to the boat for those to see who didn't want to get in. We then went to rum point where our lunch was waiting. (We ordered on the boat). The food was good. Rum point was very pretty. We saw a neat blue starfish. My kids enjoyed the hammocks. On the boat ride back my daughter (7) got to drive the boat. She was so happy-great photo. We went back through an area with some beautiful waterfront homes and saw a lot of iguanas in the trees and all over. Everyone enjoyed themselves, food was good, workers were helpful, very professional and friendly. I thought it was a great price, especially considering lunch was included. Adults had a $5 discount since we had a group of 10. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I know there are a lot of good reviews on this board. That was why I decided to try them! I hope I was helpful. Do you remember what the negative comment was that you read? Maybe I can give you some help about it. Good luck!

Karen

We did this in June 2008. it was my brother and sister in law, their 2 girls 3 and 8, myself and my parents. It was great and well worth the $$. Our day was rainy to start with so the beach was a let down as it wasn't a good day for the beach and noone on the tour enjoyed the beach but the water part (snorkeling and stingrays and starfish) was great. Our tour didn't initially include the starfish stop but we had 2 ladies on our trip that had booked the starfish part so we got an additional stop. The kids loved holding the starfish. Very few people got in the water at the starfish stop as it was not a shallow area. our next stop was the stingrays which all of us got in the water to touch them. The water was not as deep here. Most of the pics by the photographer were taken here. Our next stop was the snorkeling. The snorkeling wasn't as great as I had expected as it didn't compare to the snorkeling we experience in Kona Hawaii. It was just OK to me. The kids got a kick out of snorkeling as this was their first experience. It was a good first experience for my brother's family. There also didn't seem to be enough time spent here (most likely because of the starfish stop). We will be back in Grand Cayman in Oct next year and I'm thinking of doing this tour again in hopes of better weather.

I say thumbs up for this tour.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your review! Sounds like a great excursion. The negative review felt like the tour guides were very young and not very informative. She said their stay at Rum Point was only about an hour. She thought everything seemed rushed.

Thanks again! Jenn

We did this in June 2008. it was my brother and sister in law, their 2 girls 3 and 8, myself and my parents. It was great and well worth the $$. Our day was rainy to start with so the beach was a let down as it wasn't a good day for the beach and noone on the tour enjoyed the beach but the water part (snorkeling and stingrays and starfish) was great. Our tour didn't initially include the starfish stop but we had 2 ladies on our trip that had booked the starfish part so we got an additional stop. The kids loved holding the starfish. Very few people got in the water at the starfish stop as it was not a shallow area. our next stop was the stingrays which all of us got in the water to touch them. The water was not as deep here. Most of the pics by the photographer were taken here. Our next stop was the snorkeling. The snorkeling wasn't as great as I had expected as it didn't compare to the snorkeling we experience in Kona Hawaii. It was just OK to me. The kids got a kick out of snorkeling as this was their first experience. It was a good first experience for my brother's family. There also didn't seem to be enough time spent here (most likely because of the starfish stop). We will be back in Grand Cayman in Oct next year and I'm thinking of doing this tour again in hopes of better weather.

I say thumbs up for this tour.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you'd do it again! Jenn

Our tour guides were young, but very friendly. They were right in the water with us at the stingray stop, catching stingrays for us for photo ops and showing my daughter how to feed them. If you need help and ask them they will surely help you. Our rum point stop was closer to 2 hours, but the time does go by quickly. I would say the snorkeling was the least favorite part of the trip, but I would definately do it again.

The guys had fun with my daughter. One came and told my daughter to go to the other driving the boat and tell him to get out of her seat. She did and he got right up and that's when they showed her how to drive the boat. They offered after to my son, but he said no. It did make my daughter's day though:)

Karen

Just used Native way 2 weeks ago and can't say enough good things about them. The tour was great, my kids loved the sting rays and beautiful star fish. The owner (sharon) was just wonderful. this was the highlight of our trip. it is also less expensive then the same trip the ship offers.

Archived