Red Skin rash on ankles

sglenc

I have traveled for a number of years. In 2002, I began cruising to the Caribbean each year and on the third or forth day, develop a rash on my legs and ankles and sometime my arms. I have done extensive research and also spoken to my doctor and dermatologist and have come to the conclusion that it is probably due to the medications I take and a possible allergic reaction to PABA in sunscreen. The diuretic I take makes me more "sun sensitive". My doctor gives me the same bp med without the diuretic and it does help for that vacation. I usually go off the med, under doc's ok, one week before my cruise. I also have changed to PABA free sunscreen. This has helped.

I am not sure if this will help the OP but hope it may be of help.

Another "trick" that has helped me is to take a sleep aide the night before. Most of these are benedryl (diphenhydramine HCI 25MG) and give me enough to sleep but have the histamine in my system the next day to prevent/ help the itch or rash.

I hope this helps someone.

It could be the PABA....I cannot use any preparation with PABA at all....I break out in a red-blotchy rash wherever I put it....and it burns and itches terribly. I found out about this allergic reaction some people have by reading an article about someone who was so bad, they had to do skin debrading on her lower legs, ankle, the tops of her feet and her forearms because the red rash was deep and had become infected under the skin in those places.

Needless to say, I don't use it anymore........

I too have had this rash. The first time was in NY when it was hot, the humidity was really high and we walked a lot too. The second time was in Vegas, again, we walked for miles. I'm from the UK and go to Europe about 3-4 times a year. The only time it happened in Greece, was when it was humid and we walked for miles. Otherwise it was fine. I figured it was something to do with all the walking we did, plus the heat and humidity as when we have been at other times when we have'nt walked a lot I didn't get it? So the golf theory sounds about right to me.

Archived